Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Welch's Grape Juice Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #711
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinknocker66 View Post
Quick question from a beginner. I currently have 4 1/2 gal. of Blueberry wine in the primary. I was wondering if I could make a 5 gal batch of this wine by putting it on top of the old yeast and pulp after moving the blueberry wine into a secondary? Would this give it some added flavor and body? Is there something different I would need to do?
No, don't reuse the yeast from a wine. Wine is pretty high alcohol vs beer, and the yeast will be stressed from the alcohol. Alcohol is poisonous to yeast, and will stress it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #712
tinknocker66
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
No, don't reuse the yeast from a wine. Wine is pretty high alcohol vs beer, and the yeast will be stressed from the alcohol. Alcohol is poisonous to yeast, and will stress it.
Doesn't the skeeter pee recipe call for the use of old yeast? I trust you as you have been doing this a while but what's the difference?

Old 12-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #713
Brewer_Jonathan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Not to be that guy, but I have made Skeeter Pee with used wine yeast many times.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #714
wstrouse
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Hmmm. Have you ever had Manischewitz concord wine? Our church used to use it for communion when I was a kid. (I have no idea why a Lutheran church used Kosher wine, but that could be a whole 'nother discussion. Knowing the old Germans there, it was probably due to cost). It tastes like that, only dry if you don't sweeten it when it's done. It's a bit tart.

Anyway, it doesn't taste like a wine you'd buy at the store made out of wine grapes. It's definitely a concord grape wine, assuming you do the purple. If you use white grape juice, that's niagara grape juice and it tastes like any dry niagara grape wine. Since that's not common, except in places like the Finger Lakes area of NY, it's hard to explain.
I just tried my first batch over the weekend, unsweetened. I felt silly describing it like that, but that is what I was thinking. I'm Lutheran and my first thought was this is like communion wine, but very dry.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #715
LoneTreeFarms
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstrouse View Post
I just tried my first batch over the weekend, unsweetened. I felt silly describing it like that, but that is what I was thinking. I'm Lutheran and my first thought was this is like communion wine, but very dry.
this is why i named mine pastor's punch!!
Old 12-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #716
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewer_Jonathan View Post
Not to be that guy, but I have made Skeeter Pee with used wine yeast many times.
Sure, that's an exception, though. Skeeter Pee requires a massive amount of yeast to overcome the acidity of the lemonade. That doesn't mean that there isn't a flavor impact or some alcohol toxicity of the yeast. Due to the massive overpitching of yeast (not something you'd typically due), it doesn't matter if some yeast are stressed or die off. But that doesn't make it good winemaking practice routinely- particularly when wine is like 59 cents to $1 a package.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:39 PM   #717
CavemanDom
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts

716 posts... 48 pages... *pant*

I have added this to my to-do list, but I can not leave well enough alone, I am adjusting the recipe a smidge. The local organic market does not sell concentrate, but does sell juice from concentrate... I digress. My recipe:

1 gallon yield
64oz concord grape juice. (concentrate and water)
32oz black cherry juice (concentrate and water)
1# wildflower honey
Red star champagne yeast
Top-off water

I want to check, before I dive in completely, whether or not I should add yeast nutrient? Or would a handful raisins meet those needs? I think that is something from previous posts.

Later on in the process after re-rackings and secondary, and it is all dried out, I am (in theory) going to stabilize and back sweeten. What I would like to find out is can it be stabilized without adding campden and sorbate? Like bottle pasteurizing cider? My wife and I are somewhat contemptuous of chemicals so I prefer to avoid them. Additionally, in skipping the PE will I bottle pasteurize it into boozy jelly?

Old 12-14-2013, 01:03 AM   #718
tinknocker66
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just did a 6 gal batch of this recipe using apple/cherry juice concentrate. its sitting on the kitchen counter and I don't think I can move it now. LOL I hope the wife doesn't mind cause its goin to be there for at least a week.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #719
Brewer_Jonathan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I racked my white grape/peach over the weekend and I believe we have a winner. It will need a little time, but for what it was made out of, it's not going to be that bad.

I also started regular grape last week. I racked it this weekend and it taste/smells like juice. I used 2 1/2 cans of concentrate and Red Star Cote des Blancs yeast. Its still a bit sweet which is what I was going for since my wife doesn't like dry wines.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:56 AM   #720
CavemanDom
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts

Ok. My version is in primary.

No PE, no yeast nutrient (pitched whole envelope). And no acid addition. Let's see what happens.

OG is 1.086

Quick Reply