Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Welch's Grape Juice Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #501
aryoung1980
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

With 500 posts on this thread I figured I need to try this. I made 3 gallons on the 1st and I am pretty excited to try this in the upcoming months.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #502
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I have a quick question .... I was going to bottle this recipe this weekend and I have been ageing this in secondary for quite some time ie. 3 months. overall it has been close to 4 months. I was curious if I could just bottle as is without stabilizer, I understand if I got his route I cannot backsweeten it. Or, do I need to stabilize regardless of sweetening before I bottle.

Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 07-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #503
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschecte
I have a quick question .... I was going to bottle this recipe this weekend and I have been ageing this in secondary for quite some time ie. 3 months. overall it has been close to 4 months. I was curious if I could just bottle as is without stabilizer, I understand if I got his route I cannot backsweeten it. Or, do I need to stabilize regardless of sweetening before I bottle.
no need to stabilize unless backsweetening.. if you dont plan on sweetening I would do some/all with carbonation
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 07-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #504
toddrod
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I made a 5 gallon batch except I started with a SG of 1.10. When it was finished I backsweetened with 2 cans more of concentrate and additional sugar to get me to 1.01 SG. At 6 months of age, it is really turning out to be 1 of my favorite wine.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #505
A50SNAKE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 88

I'm just curious what most folks are doing when their batches are finished...sweetening or not sweetening this recipe?...just finished my first two (one white & one concord).

Old 07-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #506
Jsmith82
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I did a 2 gallon batch back in January and due to a few things, life, laziness, forgetfulness, it's still in the bucket. Haven't peaked at it since I pitched the yeast about 6 months ago.....

I was thinking about opening it up tonight and seeing what's up, curious if it held or if I have a bucket of fuzz... hmmm...........

Old 07-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #507
Gunpalmer45
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Backsweeten the Welch's grape juice wine

First - thanks to all who share their pointers (and learning moments) with the rest of us. I made a couple of batches of the Welch's wine when the obsession first began. A fine wine it is not. However, I've used the sparkling / carbonated (white) grape water (about $1 per liter from Wally World). Mixed about one ounce water to 4 oz wine, and VIOLA! I've made several wine kits as well as several batches of the famed Apfelwein, but folks declare this mixture hands down the best wine I've made. Don't know if that's a knock on my ability to follow wine kit instructions, or the power of the innocuous sparkling grape water. Just FWIW in the event you want to add something 'extra' to sweeten the wine. You don't have to worry about carbonation or killing the yeast either, as this takes care of sweetening and adding a bit of bubbles at the same time.

Thanks again for all who share and assist us newbies.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:28 AM   #508
AudaciousAlechemist
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I made this recipe using Welches white grape peach concentrate. It's been in secondary for several months, and I just racked it for what I thought would be the final time. When I tasted it, though, it was very hot and had a flavor that I would describe as brown sugar.
Any thoughts on this?

“Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber Through the chambers of my brain -- Quaintest thoughts -- queerest fancies Come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today.” -Edgar Allen Poe

Old 07-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #509
jagec
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudaciousAlechemist View Post
I made this recipe using Welches white grape peach concentrate. It's been in secondary for several months, and I just racked it for what I thought would be the final time. When I tasted it, though, it was very hot and had a flavor that I would describe as brown sugar.
Any thoughts on this?
Do you have your OG, FG, fermentation temperature, and type of yeast? I suspect stressed yeast, probably from a high ferm. temperature, but possibly from high alcohol.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #510
Sevenal
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

This is a local favorite in Eastern NC

Quick Reply