Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Smoke & Wood-Aged Beer > All-Grain - North to Alaska Smoked Porter

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 01:50 AM   #11
AmandaK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: KCMO
Posts: 1,501
Liked 135 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default


Brewed this tonight and the apartment smells amazing.


This was my final batch on my old system, here's to a good one!
__________________
BJCP National Beer Judge
On deck: German Pilsner, CAP, Golden Strong
Fermenting: MOVING
Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider
AmandaK is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2013, 04:26 AM   #12
Hanso
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Madison
Posts: 165
Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

Default


Sundowner, this one has been on my list for a while but I lack the means to smoke the malt. Do you have recommendations for a commercially available substitute for the 2 row? I want to make sure the balance is about right and don't want to load it down with all peat smoked malt or something else like that which is probably wrong.

__________________
Hanso is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #13
sundowner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Walk About Creek
Posts: 221
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanso View Post
Sundowner, this one has been on my list for a while but I lack the means to smoke the malt. Do you have recommendations for a commercially available substitute for the 2 row? I want to make sure the balance is about right and don't want to load it down with all peat smoked malt or something else like that which is probably wrong.
It won't be quite the same beer, but Briess has some cherry wood smoked malt that makes an excellent smoked porter. I would cut the amount down to around 4 lbs though...
__________________

A person who knows everything, knows nothing...

sundowner is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #14
Hanso
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Madison
Posts: 165
Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by sundowner View Post

It won't be quite the same beer, but Briess has some cherry wood smoked malt that makes an excellent smoked porter. I would cut the amount down to around 4 lbs though...
Thanks! And 5 lbs of regular 2 row then, to get to 9 total?
__________________
Hanso is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #15
sundowner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Walk About Creek
Posts: 221
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default


Yes, that should do it. The 1st time I used the cherry wood smoked malt, I treated it like the alder wood and used it for all the base grain...Too much smoke flavor. Cheers!

__________________

A person who knows everything, knows nothing...

sundowner is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #16
DSmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Robbinsdale
Posts: 755
Liked 57 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default


I think you could use 9# of Weyermann Beechwood Smoked malt and not be too smokey (about 64% for this recipe). I've used 20% and 60% in smoked porter and would recommend the higher percentage.

I plan on brewing this recipe but am skeptical about the mash temperature and yeast (probably my preference for a drier porter). I'd think mashing at 153F and using a high attenuating neutral yeast like Wyeast 1056 would get to the recipe 1.018 final gravity with over 10% of crystal malt.

__________________
DSmith is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #17
sundowner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Walk About Creek
Posts: 221
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by DSmith View Post
I think you could use 9# of Weyermann Beechwood Smoked malt and not be too smokey (about 64% for this recipe). I've used 20% and 60% in smoked porter and would recommend the higher percentage.

I plan on brewing this recipe but am skeptical about the mash temperature and yeast (probably my preference for a drier porter). I'd think mashing at 153F and using a high attenuating neutral yeast like Wyeast 1056 would get to the recipe 1.018 final gravity with over 10% of crystal malt.
Sure, if you use Weyermann's beechwood smoked malt, 9 lbs is fine. This beer was not designed to be dry and Wyeast 1968 is a perfect fit. If you want a dry porter, there are many other recipes for that...
__________________

A person who knows everything, knows nothing...

sundowner is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2013, 02:12 AM   #18
DSmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Robbinsdale
Posts: 755
Liked 57 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default


I didn't want to imply that mashing lower or switching yeast could make a better beer. I will brew this as-is because it's a proven recipe with lots of awards.

__________________
DSmith is offline  
sundowner Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All-Grain - Smoked porter springer Smoke & Wood-Aged Beer 1 08-05-2012 05:55 PM
All-Grain - Illudium PU-36 Smoked Porter MVKTR2 Smoke & Wood-Aged Beer 0 07-16-2010 10:13 PM
All-Grain - Imperial Smoked Porter caspio Smoke & Wood-Aged Beer 0 10-11-2009 05:44 PM
Harry Porter (Smoked Porter) Marinebrew Smoke & Wood-Aged Beer 1 01-01-2009 09:41 PM
Iron Orr Brewery Smoked Porter Dude Smoke & Wood-Aged Beer 7 09-04-2008 04:19 AM