Winter Wit critique please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Medic218

Reaction score
I'm going to get a Winter Wit going in a day or two and was wondering what y'all's input was on my spice additions.
I'm not dead set on anything, but I think I'm on the right path.

Batch: 5.25gal
Yeast: Forbidden Fruit

5.25 Pils
4.75 Flaked Wheat
1.00 Flaked Oats
0.25 Munich
0.75 Rice Hulls

1.00oz Hallertauer - 60
0.50oz Hallertauer - 10
0.50oz Hallertauer - 1

1.50oz Orange Zest @ 10min
0.75oz Coriander Seed @ 10min
1.00tsp Cinnamon Powder @ 5min
1.00tsp Nutmeg @ 5min
0.25tsp Cloves @ 5min
2 Vanilla beans for 5 days

Is this too "busy" or could I get away with simply using allspice to accomplish the same task?

Thanks in advance!

Have you made this yet? I just had an idea for a spiced winter blonde or a spiced winter wit and wanted to see if there were any existing successes. I had a cool idea for a name:

Frosty *****

If you have made it, I would like to know how all the spices worked together, and if the hops drowned them out (or helped them). Many spice-forward beers just do a bittering addition and leave out later stuff, though those are mostly malty beers and not light wits.

I'm also curios on the mouthfeel. I used a pound of flaked oats in a breakfast stout(!). How's that play here?

Thanks ahead of time, and happy brewing :mug:

ZB

I had actually planned on bottling it tonight but the gravity isn't down where it needs to be due to me not thinking about having to raise the temp towards the end for the particular yeast used.

Ok, during the boil, and sending to primary, it smelled AMAZING!!!
Samples have had maybe zero to a tad bit of spicyness.
To remedy this I made a tincture of the spices used with some vodka. That smells pretty awesome too!
Once gravity gets where I want it, I'll add the tincture to taste at bottling.

As it stands, I have pretty good wit going, I just need to add some more spicyness.
Hops aren't noticeble and the wort is pleasant. I think if I were to bottle without the spices I'd still be happy with the end product as a reg wit, but that's not what I set out for with this one.
This is also my first attempt with this many spices and and the first recipe I came up with all on my own.
If it actually turns out, I'll be amazed.

Back