Tiny baby Belgian wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phug

Reaction score
Last night I brewed my first Belgian wit in anticipation of my wife and newborn daughter coming home this morning. It's my 6th batch of beer or so. Had to wait until I had put the 4 year old to bed at 9.

1 lb 2 row
1 lb flaked wheat
4.8 g hallertau 6% aa 60 min
6g fresh cracked coriander 5 min
6g dried orange peel 5min
6g fresh Miniola orange zest 5 min
2.3g t-58

I got 4.2 litres at 1.051
And 1 gallon into the fermenter

This was my first time doing water additions using Calc chloride, gypsum, lactic acid, pH test strips. I went all out with an iodine conversion test too.

PH was in the low fives, conversion was done at about 35 minutes into the mash. I hit my volumes, hit my temps, only lost 2 degrees c over the hour long mash starting at 65. I preheated the oven to 170 and turned it off when I put the pot into the oven.

One mis-hap. When I added my fermcap, it must had been a little stuck, so instead of one drop, I got a squirt. Oh well, no boilovers, and the other additions, including Irish moss went well.

Blowoff tube is in place and the fermenter is in a basin, as I suspect I will need it. Brew day ended at 1 am. My refractometer agrees with my hydrometer. And my fermenter is bubbling away, albeit at about 16 c, so I won't get much from the yeast.

All in all I'm happy and got about 73% eff into the fermenter. No sparge, but I squeezed pretty aggressively.
I'm calling that a good day. And everyone is home, safe and sound.

Baby is in my arms right now and the Belgian is in the basement ignoring the blowoff tube, I guess when you get a squirt of fermcap you can actually put one gallon into a one gallon jug

Baby is in my arms right now and the Belgian is in the basement ignoring the blowoff tube, I guess when you get a squirt of fermcap you can actually put one gallon into a one gallon jug

Congrats again but you know what they say, no pictures---didn't happen. We need proof of both the baby and the Belgian.:ban:

Back