Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Punkin' Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2012, 12:41 AM   #611
Chug
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just took a Gravity reading and mine is sitting pretty at 1.017. Hopefully it doesn't drop down too much more, it's only 5 days in. And wow, it already tastes wonderful! This is gonna be a good one.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2012, 01:53 AM   #612
Onlooker
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy View Post
Onlooker, thanks for adding detail! I sent my last message from my phone and had to cut it short. Great run-down!
No sweat. Glad to help .

I plan to brew this up in a couple of weeks. Sound good!

Old 08-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #613
yock
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy View Post
Welcome to HBT! I'm glad your first post is about my recipe

One smack pack will work but isn't ideal. If you have a bit of extra extract you can make a yeast starter and get the proper pitching rate.
My husband works near a home brew shop. Since I'm not brewing until Saturday, can I just get a second wyeast 1056 smackpack? But I wouldn't use both for this recipe would I?

I didn't quite understand the yeast starter replies using wort. How would I do that since I'd have my wort already made. How would I get the yeast starter thing going, fridge it, let it settle a couple days, then pitch. My Punkin Ale wort would already have been made for a few days and would have needed the yeast by then. ????

Old 08-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #614
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you don't have time to make a starter, you can just pitch 2 packs of yeast. In the future if you want to save some money, make a starter a few days before you brew. Just do a search on here, tons of info on starters.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #615
Onlooker
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 57

^^^^^ Yes, what brew2enjoy said. You have to plan ahead for your starters. And use some plain dry malt extract (some apart from your kit) to make the starter.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #616
TonyD315
Recipes 

Default Partial Mash Questions...

I am planning on trying this tomorrow and I have a few questions. Any suggestions or help would be great. I am going to try the partial mash. My set up is very primitive, basically everything gets done in a 16qt stainless steel pot on the stove. My brother and I have brewed many partial mashes before so it's not unfamiliar territory. Usually we will mash the grains in a grain bag, drain them and sometimes sparge by placing the grain bag in a strainer and sparging right over the 16qt pot we just mashed in. Then we would add water as needed and start the boil.

My first question is would it make a difference to place the baked pumpkin puree into a grain bag? Would that cut down on the messiness?

Second, we will usually boil with enough water that we know won't cause a boil over, and then when we transfer to the carboy, add water till we hit the 5 gal mark. (We measured out 5 gal exactly on it) That has worked well so far for us, should we continue to do that or try to adjust the water for the mash, sparge, and boil accordingly?

We are looking forward to trying this out, hopefully with a little help this will turn out pretty well.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #617
yock
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Tony, your set up sounds exactly like how we brew, so I hope someone answers your question. ......yock

Old 08-17-2012, 02:25 AM   #618
watersr
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts

Here goes! Brewing this as I speak, or type.

Burn the village, then drink the beer!

Old 08-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #619
kegboy5000
Recipes 

Made this last night. And it smelled wonderful. I did alter it a bit by adding only one can of pumpkin and used Mexican Brown sugar called Piloncillo, which in my opinion, adds a smoky, caramel, earthy like flavor that seems to be missing in regular brown sugar.

But I have seen where someone mentioned that adding real pumpkin doesn't do much at all. I somewhat disagree. Although I have used lots of pumpkin in the past, this time around, I only added 1 29 oz can of pumpkin. It adds a nice orange hue color and a vegetable "smell like" character to the finished product.

I have also heard a podcast by Basicbrewing.com, where they did a blind taste test of pumpkin beers made with and without real pumpkin. And they could tell the beer made with pumpkin because of the vegetable like character.

I've had made and drank both made with and without, and I could kinda taste that vegetable character too.

So just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #620
watersr
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts

Once I added the spice to this the smell was awesome! Everyone in the house wanted a slice of my beer! I had poor efficiency and was under OG but the hydrometer sample tasted like drinking a pumpkin pie! The pumpkin flavor is certainly there at this point. I altered the recipe in that I put a quarter of the pumpkin in the boil. We'll see if that character carries over into the finished product.

Burn the village, then drink the beer!

Quick Reply