Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Extract - Belgian Trippel (2006 World Beer Cup Gold Medal: Dragonmead Final Absolution clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
HuRRiC4Ne
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Extract - Belgian Trippel (2006 World Beer Cup Gold Medal: Dragonmead Final Absolution clone)

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP500
Yeast Starter: no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: Used two WLP500 vials
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: 1.082
Final Gravity: ?
IBU: ?
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60mins
Color: Yello
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14days 69F
Additional Fermentation: .
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 Days @69F
Tasting Notes: Light banana, fruity with some spice hints...

Let me start of by saying, this recipe is simple to make. I converted over to extracts to save on prep time. I wanted something simple that most can make. The Belgian is going to be a clone of a 2006 Gold Medal winner in the World Beer cup in 2006 (Dragonmead Final Absolution). I was lucky enough to get the recipe. I converted the recipe over to LME and DME. I made a few changes to it also. I changed the 60mins hops from Hallertauer Mittelfruh to German Hallertau and used DME amber instead of munich malt. I didn't use a starter either, I opted for using two vials of WLP500 instead (so i wouldn't have to wait). I regret not making a starter though, because It took 24 hours before it took off. I had to stir it up a little bit then it started fermenting instantly.

Let me know what you guys think? I'm dabating on adding another 3.3lbs of Pilsner light LME to get around 10%. But I'm not sure how the the final gravity will end up at. I heard some people with attenuation of around 85%. I figure if i get 77% then this will be 8.2%. The recipe is supposed to be 8.5%. I think I just may leave this alone and see how it comes out then go from there. I will keep everyone updated on how it comes out.

Day 5: It has a very nice smell of a light banana, fruit hints with some spice! WOW, can't wait until this is done!
Day 6: Took hydro reading of 1.020 (thats 8% after 6 days) Smells very good! Has the look and consistancy of a Belgian but it's cloudy (but that's expected), has a very nice yellow color. I'm waiting until day 10 to 14 to rack into secondary.
Day 10: 1.016 gravity, going to give it a few more days before i rack it into the secondary.
Day 16: Reracked into secondary, 1.016 gravity still.
Day 32: Kegged it!!!! same gravity and all I can say is WOWWWWW
Here is a video review of the beer i'm cloning:

Extract:
3 x 3.3lbs Pilsner Light malt extract LME
1 x 1lbs Amber DME
1 x 1.5lbs Belgian Candy
12.4 total pounds of fermentables

Hops: (IBU came out at 23 but you can range from 20 to 25)
2 oz. German Hallertau 3.8%AA 60min
1 oz. Styrian Goldings 3.4% AA 30min
1 oz. Saaz 2.8% AA 3min

Yeast:
2 x WLP500 Trappist Ale Yeast

Notes:

Last edited by HuRRiC4Ne; 10-16-2009 at 07:36 PM.
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

you should post the AG version as well if you have it.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:33 PM   #3
HuRRiC4Ne
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k View Post
you should post the AG version as well if you have it.
Yes I do...

It's 12.8lbs Pilsner
1.6lbs Munich Malt (2row)
1.6lbsCandy sugar

1.8oz hallertauer mittelfruh
.4oz styrian goldings
.8 chzech saaz

same yeast

Old 10-16-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
HuRRiC4Ne
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

I just finished this, and all can say is WOW!!! I went to a local brewery near me that had some Belgian Gran Cru and I took a growler home with me. Very little difference between the two. This beer is amazing and i'm making a second batch soon!

Old 10-20-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
Trooper-Orange
Recipes 

Think this will be my next brew. I love a good triple.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:21 PM   #6
HuRRiC4Ne
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper-Orange View Post
Think this will be my next brew. I love a good triple.
Can't go wrong with it, from start to finish 30 days... This beer was gone in 5 days, all my friends loved it. Even my girlfriend who doesn't like beer. It's funny, I haven't had ONE person say they didn't like it.

If there was anything i could change, i would try to keep the IBU's down. I was at 23IBU's. I mean, it was still good though!

I would suggest this hop combo.. and really try to hit the .8 and such, i think it might a light difference on the hop profile. If you noticed, i used different hops, it was because i had to sub them in as replacements. (brew shop didn't have hallertauer mittelfruh)

.4oz styrian goldings
.8 chzech saaz

Old 10-20-2009, 07:23 PM   #7
Trooper-Orange
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuRRiC4Ne View Post
I would suggest this hop combo.. and really try to hit the .8 and such, i think it might a light difference on the hop profile. If you noticed, i used different hops, it was because i had to sub them in as replacements. (brew shop didn't have hallertauer mittelfruh)

.4oz styrian goldings
.8 chzech saaz
I will give it a shot, somehow my LHBS is always missing something so I totally understand making the substitutions.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:19 PM   #8
togabear
Recipes 

I brewed this and so far it tastes great. So many thanks for the recipe! I made mine a partial mash and added a little bit more grain with the same amount of LME and sugar. I had a few Belgians myself before I started, so I don't actually know how much I actually added, it was mostly pale 2-row and a little crystal. Got a OG of 1.095-took it 3 to 4 days to show any life using the two vials of yeast. However, after a week its down to 1.029 and still bubbling away at ~9% alcohol. I'm hoping to get the same attenuation as you, and that will bring it up a little bit more. I think I might need to raise temp to get it to finish off though-I have never brewed anything with this high of a gravity before. No off flavors yet and tastes surprisingly clean with a nice bit of fruit. It does have a little bit of an alcoholic punch though.

I also lowered the fermentation temperature to 66 to 68 after it started. I dont know if this will make a huge difference though. I also took your advice and lowered the IBUs to about 21. Have you brewed this again since the orginal batch?

Old 12-29-2009, 12:53 AM   #9
HuRRiC4Ne
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by togabear View Post
I brewed this and so far it tastes great. So many thanks for the recipe! I made mine a partial mash and added a little bit more grain with the same amount of LME and sugar. I had a few Belgians myself before I started, so I don't actually know how much I actually added, it was mostly pale 2-row and a little crystal. Got a OG of 1.095-took it 3 to 4 days to show any life using the two vials of yeast. However, after a week its down to 1.029 and still bubbling away at ~9% alcohol. I'm hoping to get the same attenuation as you, and that will bring it up a little bit more. I think I might need to raise temp to get it to finish off though-I have never brewed anything with this high of a gravity before. No off flavors yet and tastes surprisingly clean with a nice bit of fruit. It does have a little bit of an alcoholic punch though.

I also lowered the fermentation temperature to 66 to 68 after it started. I dont know if this will make a huge difference though. I also took your advice and lowered the IBUs to about 21. Have you brewed this again since the orginal batch?
I would give it more time to get the attenuation down a little bit, It will come down eventually. A possible re-rack into the secondary will give it another boost after 10 to 14 days.

I made a double with my last batch, it came out good. But not as good as this... I'm going to make this batch again soon. My plans are to get a starting gravity around yours, and i'm going to limit the hops slightly. I want to achieve somewhere around 20 to 21. I was thinking about adding this much 1.8oz hallertauer mittelfruh, .4oz styrian goldings, .8 chzech saaz.

But all in all, I don't want to alter this recipe that much. I think i'm pretty spot on with what I was trying to do. I just came back from Europe and visited Belgium and Holland and let me tell you this. This beer can hang with the best of them.

Also, I don't suggest using two vials with that high of a gravity (it's still not enough yeast to kick it off in a good fermentation). Next time have a starter ready. I saved all my yeast, what I did is. I took the yeast cake on the bottom of the bucket and put a little tap water in it. Mixed it up and split it in four mason jars. I used two of them already, one on the double and the other for a Christmas beer.

Best of luck, and keep us updated on your final results.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:36 PM   #10
Nukesquad
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Definitely want to try this one. On your belgian candy, did you use clear or dark? I assumed clear due to your description of a light color, but I wanted to make sure.

Quick Reply