Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Cottage House Saison

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 11:57 PM   #271
Oddball
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 209
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default


Sorry if this is a dumb question but what is FWH on the hop additions?

__________________
Oddball is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 12:12 AM   #272
Neopol
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Neopol's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Munster
Posts: 706
Liked 65 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default


No question is a dumb question if you don't know the answer... First Wort Hop.. put them in while sparging, I say this not knowing your setup of course.

__________________

BREWMUTT

Don't you know there aint no devil...thats just god when hes drunk!

Neopol is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 12:18 AM   #273
Oddball
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 209
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopol View Post
No question is a dumb question if you don't know the answer... First Wort Hop.. put them in while sparging, I say this not knowing your setup of course.
I was planning on doing a partial mash of this beer. What exactly do you mean though by putting them in while sparging? Do you mind elaborating a bit?

edit: I use a maxi biab partial mash method and dunk-sparge.
__________________
Oddball is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 12:55 AM   #274
Neopol
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Neopol's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Munster
Posts: 706
Liked 65 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default


I'm not going to side track a great thread beyond this reply, fwh is a technique or rather timing for hop intro, I.e. when your sparging into the boil kettle, for bittering. Hope that makes sense, if not clear search FWH I'm certain its covered ad nauseum on this site.. happy brewing.

__________________

BREWMUTT

Don't you know there aint no devil...thats just god when hes drunk!

Neopol is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 02:40 AM   #275
Oddball
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 209
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default


Thanks...

__________________
Oddball is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #276
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
azscoob's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lake in the Hills, IL
Posts: 7,170
Liked 140 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
Sorry if this is a dumb question but what is FWH on the hop additions?
First wort hopping is a method to get what many believe is a smoother bittering, the hops are put into the boil kettle as you are doing your sparging, instead of once it begins to boil.

The thought is some flavor characteristics are locked in at lower heat, and as the wort boils it locks in the bittering as well, seems to reduce the sharpness of a normal bittering addition, and smoothe the transition to the flavor additions as well.

I figured it was a good method in this beer, to smoothe things out, besides most saisons don't have a harsh bitterness to them but rather a balanced level of spice, bitterness, and aromas.

I hope that cleared things up for you!
__________________

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

azscoob is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #277
Oddball
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 209
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
First wort hopping is a method to get what many believe is a smoother bittering, the hops are put into the boil kettle as you are doing your sparging, instead of once it begins to boil.

The thought is some flavor characteristics are locked in at lower heat, and as the wort boils it locks in the bittering as well, seems to reduce the sharpness of a normal bittering addition, and smoothe the transition to the flavor additions as well.

I figured it was a good method in this beer, to smoothe things out, besides most saisons don't have a harsh bitterness to them but rather a balanced level of spice, bitterness, and aromas.

I hope that cleared things up for you!

Thanks for the info. I ended up looking it up in Palmer's book, which I should have just done in the first place. Sorry, I wasn't trying to highjack your thread.... It looks like great recipe and I am looking forward to brewing it tonight. The black pepper is intriguing. Do you get much flavor from the amount listed in the opening post?
__________________
Oddball is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #278
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
azscoob's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lake in the Hills, IL
Posts: 7,170
Liked 140 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
Thanks for the info. I ended up looking it up in Palmer's book, which I should have just done in the first place. Sorry, I wasn't trying to highjack your thread.... It looks like great recipe and I am looking forward to brewing it tonight. The black pepper is intriguing. Do you get much flavor from the amount listed in the opening post?
The black pepper simply accentuates the pepper flavors developed by the yeast during fermentation

I didn't want to mask it, or overpower it, but just boost the flavor already there.

Give it a try and see how you like it as is, then brew a tweaked version if you would like a little more of this, or less of that.... I'm here to help!
__________________

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

azscoob is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #279
JonGrafto
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Central Part of the State...
Posts: 1,557
Liked 95 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default


Just took a hydro reading after going for 2 weeks. 1.000 !!!!

Sample tastes great but not getting peppery notes.

Can't believe it went down so far. Lettin it clean up for a week or two then time to keg and carb up.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whattawort View Post
Looks like a zombie took a dump in your bucket after a night of binging on hot arse and cabbage.
JonGrafto is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #280
Madlob75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Greenville
Posts: 20
Likes Given: 1

Default


I brewed this recipe yesterday, and even went out and got a bottle of Saison Dupont to enjoy during the process. For my second all-grain batch, I was pretty happy. Hit my OG dead on, but I had a little trouble with post-boil volume because I guess I didn't have a hard-enough rolling boil going throughout the boil. I ended up having to go a little longer to get it down to ~5.5G. Do you all think that will have a huge effect on the hops? I added time at the end before I added the honey and pepper, and ended up going about 20min longer.

__________________

Keg 1 - Hoppy Amber Ale
Keg 2 - Widmer Hefeweizen clone
Primary - Cottage House Saison

Madlob75 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Partial - BBD Saison Furtif ChshreCat Belgian and French Ale 362 08-10-2014 12:25 PM
All-Grain - Saison Ete Sixbillionethans Belgian and French Ale 27 09-01-2013 05:49 PM
Se La Saison Ó Flannagáin Belgian and French Ale 9 01-12-2011 02:14 AM
Saison Ryanh1801 Belgian and French Ale 6 08-01-2010 08:00 PM
La Saison Sept Brewtopia Belgian and French Ale 0 02-23-2008 08:14 AM