Double IPA Pliny the Elder Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys,
would like to try this clone, which is the best/recommended recipe version for Biab?

Just tried to put down recipe on the first page for my 12G rig, so i've to shoot for around 200ibu? OMG!

It doesn't calculate FWH IBU properly. Not sure it there's a. Box you can check or something but I k ow from the Zombie Dust thread it's a calculation error.

Anyone ever pitch a lager yeast on this? I have found one post online about it but no results.

It doesn't calculate FWH IBU properly. Not sure it there's a. Box you can check or something but I k ow from the Zombie Dust thread it's a calculation error.

I think when you add the FWH on BeerSmith you can change the efficiency like you change the alpha acidity. If not there then I'd expect on the setting tabs like you are changing whirlpool hops efficiency (top toolbar).

Getting ready to brew my extract Pliny clone kit this week. This will be my second brew. I'm a little surprised at the instructions included for the kits. They both have been a little generic. Luckily there is plenty of friendly advice on this board. :) Looking forward to it!

Forgot to post! Almost 2 weeks fermenting now. No rye tho. Will start dry hopping late Thursday.

Update 4/1/16:
FG at 1.004!?! (was placed on a Rye PA yeast cake). 94% attenuation. First dry hop in. Tasting not as flavorful as others in the past after primary fermentation. Dry hops should cure that eh?

Ok... so I attempted this recipe over the weekend and totally spaced out and forgot to add the corn sugar.

How screwed am I?

Ok... so I attempted this recipe over the weekend and totally spaced out and forgot to add the corn sugar.

How screwed am I?

You could boil up a sugar solution, cool it then add it. Or you could just leave it as is. It'll be sweeter and less boozy, still bloody good.

How screwed am I?

Just wondering what you did...

If you haven't done anything yet, don't mess around with it :mug:

Just wondering what you did...

If you haven't done anything yet, don't mess around with it :mug:

Decided to just leave it. It has been humming along fine. Going to move to secondary tomorrow and dry hop. I may split it in half and do half sugar and half just leave it alone. Not sure though.

It will be fine either way. Splitting is an interesting experiment, I've done it with different yeasts, spices, top off water.
Feeding it the sugar in the fermenter does no harm. It is standard practice in Belgian Strongs and high alcohol beer.

It will be fine either way. Splitting is an interesting experiment, I've done it with different yeasts, spices, top off water.
Feeding it the sugar in the fermenter does no harm. It is standard practice in Belgian Strongs and high alcohol beer.
Ok! Gonna do it then! Do you think it will be ok to do the secondary in plastic buckets?

So I did wind up splitting this into three when I moved to secondary fermentation and did first dry hop additon. I split them up as follows.

1) First gallon was my control/didn't do anything to it. Got a great rack and it was super clean/clear.
2) Second I added 1 1/3 cup of corn sugar to. Kind of screwed up the rack as I stirred up the trub/hops that sank down. Still got it to fill but really cloudy.
3) I only had about a 1/3 of a gallon left as the trub and the blow off took a LOT with it. This one I didn't care about so much so I put in some new yeast that I had lying around. It was really cloudy and just blah! Plus my cane was clogging so I just wound up dumping it in pretty much.

Results after a week:
1) Was a little concerned as it didn't seem to be doing much. After a couple of days though it started to bubble again. Super clear and color is rather dark.

2) Humming RIGHT along. The cloudiness has died down a lot and has a typical IPA color.

3) Going along too and color looks a little darker than the first.

Have to dry hop one more time over the weekend and then we shall see in another week!

I've heard bad things about dry hopping for more than 5-7 days. Should the first dry hop be put in a hop bag so it can be removed before the second dry hop?

I've heard bad things about dry hopping for more than 5-7 days. Should the first dry hop be put in a hop bag so it can be removed before the second dry hop?

You can extract polyphenols from the hops with contact times above 4-5 days. It's not consistent in strength to me but it always happens. I don't care for them (grassy flavors) and strive for more of a clean dryhop like Pliny or heady. Taste the beer daily when you're dryhopping and see what you think.

Congratulations! My Pliny clone never tastes like the original. Personally, think it's better. Enjoy your efforts and cheers!

And fyi, you need a bigger tv for that wall! 😉

Congratulations! My Pliny clone never tastes like the original. Personally, think it's better. Enjoy your efforts and cheers!

And fyi, you need a bigger tv for that wall! [emoji6]

Thanks!! Good to know that the clone is better than the original! [emoji2]
I've been looking at getting a bigger tv but 2 things holding me back.
1) it's my basement and we don't spend all of our time watching down there
2) when I finished the basement I didn't want any shelves or electronics visible so I bought a tv with built-in dvd. The biggest I've been able to find is 32" so that what I currently have.
Oh and then there's the wife factor. She says the tv is mostly new and works just fine so no need for a new one. I love my wife! [emoji35]

Finished brewing this yesterday. I had all my ingredients into BeerSmith the same as the recipe but it was saying I'd be getting 1.075....I ended up with .70 anyways so it all worked out.

HOWEVER, For some reason with the same hop schedule...Beersmith was calling for 230IBU...wtf?!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1470788372.455306.jpg

I Have been brewing this recipe for 4 years and it is my house IPA. We go through about 5 gallons in two weeks and always have it on tap so you can domthe math on how many gallons. I do 15 gallon batches. What I have discovered is that water chemistry is the key to success. I use RO water with .75 grams per gallon of gypsum and Ca Cl2 in all brewing water and add 2%acid malt to the grist for a mash pH of 5.3. Other than that, I follow the recipe, including the dry hop schedule.
Very, VERY close to the real thing.

Which recipe? Have you seen the real PTE brewsheet posted here and elsewhere?

I can post my recipe later. It is based on the OP recipe with a few minor tweaks. I now FWH with (much) less Columbus and the perceived bitterness is the same. Too grassy using the full amount (pellets). All grain, HERMS, 149* 60 min. mash, 90min. boil, temp controlled fermentation at 167*.

BOS winner at Ventura County Fair 2015 and a few other awards also.

Here is the recipe for my current batch brewed 7/10/16 and kegged 7/30/16.
I guess I have strayed a bit from the OP recipe over the years...but this is how I do it now. [emoji106][emoji106]
42# American Pale Malt
2# Carapils
1# CR40
6oz. Acidulated malt
2.25# Dextrose (10 min. boil)
3 whirlfloc (10 min. boil)
5oz. Columbus 90 (FWH)
3oz. Columbus 45
2 oz Simcoe 20
1oz. Centennial 20
1oz. Amarillo 20
5oz. Simcoe WP
2.5oz. Centennial WP
3.85oz. Amarillo WP
2oz. Simcoe DH 10 days
2oz. Centennial DH 10 days
2oz Amarillo DH 10 days
1oz. Galaxy DH 10 days (just because I had it[emoji106])
.75oz. Simcoe DH 5 days
.75oz. Centennial DH 5 days
. 75oz. Amarillo DH 5 days
1oz. Galaxy (see above) DH 5 days.
5L starter with 2 packs WL1056 (fresh)
5min O2 at 3LPM
Mash 151* 60 min.
Ferment 65* in 20g conical in controlled chamber

OG 1.072
FG 1.012
I carbonate at 12psi and 39* until I like it then condition for a week or so to mellow. It tends to be astringent when very young but not at all after conditioning.

This award winning beer usually scores between 35 and 39 points when fresh. Older than that and it starts losing its wonderful aroma but still scores ~30 points.

This beer is also VERY susceptible to Oxidation, so be very diligent when kegging. I pressure transfer directly into the purged kegs. Then purge more, then more...

View attachment 365670

I Have been brewing this recipe for 4 years and it is my house IPA. We go through about 5 gallons in two weeks and always have it on tap so you can domthe math on how many gallons. I do 15 gallon batches. What I have discovered is that water chemistry is the key to success. I use RO water with .75 grams per gallon of gypsum and Ca Cl2 in all brewing water and add 2%acid malt to the grist for a mash pH of 5.3. Other than that, I follow the recipe, including the dry hop schedule.
Very, VERY close to the real thing.

That is good info! I tend not to use that much chemicals in my RO and yet to try acid malt. My next attempt will included this slight variation. Thanks for sharing!

Here is the recipe for my current batch brewed 7/10/16 and kegged 7/30/16.
I guess I have strayed a bit from the OP recipe over the years...but this is how I do it now. [emoji106][emoji106]
42# American Pale Malt
2# Carapils
1# CR40
6oz. Acidulated malt
2.25# Dextrose (10 min. boil)
3 whirlfloc (10 min. boil)
5oz. Columbus 90 (FWH)
3oz. Columbus 45
2 oz Simcoe 20
1oz. Centennial 20
1oz. Amarillo 20
5oz. Simcoe WP
2.5oz. Centennial WP
3.85oz. Amarillo WP
2oz. Simcoe DH 10 days
2oz. Centennial DH 10 days
2oz Amarillo DH 10 days
1oz. Galaxy DH 10 days (just because I had it[emoji106])
.75oz. Simcoe DH 5 days
.75oz. Centennial DH 5 days
. 75oz. Amarillo DH 5 days
1oz. Galaxy (see above) DH 5 days.
5L starter with 2 packs WL1056 (fresh)
5min O2 at 3LPM
Mash 151* 60 min.
Ferment 65* in 20g conical in controlled chamber

OG 1.072
FG 1.012
I carbonate at 12psi and 39* until I like it then condition for a week or so to mellow. It tends to be astringent when very young but not at all after conditioning.

This award winning beer usually scores between 35 and 39 points when fresh. Older than that and it starts losing its wonderful aroma but still scores ~30 points.

This beer is also VERY susceptible to Oxidation, so be very diligent when kegging. I pressure transfer directly into the purged kegs. Then purge more, then more...

I may have missed it, but what sized batch?

Just finished brewing this but missed the OG, I got 1062 or so, which is disappointing as it seemed everything went rather well during the brew, and actually ended up short of 19L (5 US Gallons) in the fermenter after boiling... My efficiency must be pretty poor.

I have never tasted PTE so even if this doesn't work out a clone, hopefully it should still be a pretty tasty IPA?

I was a little worried about having a keg of beer this strong anyway so maybe its a blessing in disguise...

I think you'll be fine. I haven't had fresh Pliny, but this recipe makes great beer. And you are not terribly far off gravity.
You remembered the sugar, right?

I think you'll be fine. I haven't had fresh Pliny, but this recipe makes great beer. And you are not terribly far off gravity.
You remembered the sugar, right?

Yes sugar was added at the beginning of the boil, the only thing I can think of is my grain mill seems to either crush way too much or way too little, the sweetest spot seems to leave some whole grain's.
Maybe I need to adjust a recipe for a higher amount of grain next time

Back