Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - My 2-time gold winning American IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #231
Walshy87
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

First off this is a delicious beer! Thanks for the recipe.

So I gave one to a co-worker and told him to critique it. He said it was really good, definitely my best one so far. After drinking it he had a Ranger and another IPA, he said mine was lacking complexity in the after taste which I agree with. Seems like the hop is up front with no bitter taste than not much after taste. Anybody else noticed this or is just the way I brewed it? The only mishap I had while brewing this was that I was a gallon short post boil which I topped off and hit target gravity.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #232
homebrewhaha
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshy87 View Post
The only mishap I had while brewing this was that I was a gallon short post boil which I topped off and hit target gravity.
That's definitely going to affect your hop flavor and I wouldn't necessarily attribute any deficiencies to the recipe itself.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #233
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 274 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshy87
Seems like the hop is up front with no bitter taste than not much after taste.
I think that this is all a matter of preference. I prefer the huge hop flavor and aroma I get with this, without the overwhelming bitterness a lot of IPA's have. My favorite commercial IPA so far is Stone's 16th Anniversary, which accomplishes the same thing in a remarkable way.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #234
Hopper77
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts

Subscribed

Old 01-25-2013, 05:39 PM   #235
Walshy87
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Dont get me wrong I don't think it's bad thing, this is definitely a staple now in my house. Just wondering if that's how it was suppose to be or if my process contributed it. next time I'll make sure I don't have to top off.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #236
redspy
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Mine is the same way. Lots of hop up front with a feint after taste. I have no issue with it though. Delicious beer.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #237
creatorofbeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopsareyummy View Post
I made an extract recipe for this, just brewed last night, its my 2nd brew:

steeping grains:
1 lb Crystal 20
1 lb Munich Light 10L

extracts:
3.15 lb Gold LME (from NB--contains some carapils)
6 lb Gold LME--added at end of boil
4 oz pilsen DME

hops:
1 oz Chinook 30 min
1.5 oz Cascade 30 min
1 oz Williamette 15 min
1.5 oz Cascade 15 min
1 oz Williamette 5 min
2 oz Cascade dry hop in secondary

I also put in a teaspoon of Irish moss at 15 min. I left out the carapils since the Gold LME has some in it, and I left out the torrified wheat, since it has to be mashed, hopefully its not super important. Used US-05 and its bubbling away nicely. Adding the 6 lbs LME at the end of the boil should help with hops utilization since I only have a 3 gal boil.
How did this extract pale turn out?

Old 02-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #238
RichBenn
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:

So I gave one to a co-worker and told him to critique it. He said it was really good, definitely my best one so far. After drinking it he had a Ranger and another IPA, he said mine was lacking complexity in the after taste which I agree with. Seems like the hop is up front with no bitter taste than not much after taste. Anybody else noticed this or is just the way I brewed it? The only mishap I had while brewing this was that I was a gallon short post boil which I topped off and hit target gravity.
Ranger is kinda crap, IMHO.
I've started serving one beer that is a crowd pleaser for those that don't think a beer is right unless it tastes like something they are used to. (It's posted under my name and took 1st place, if you are interested) It's got that Sierra Nevada/Sam Adams kinda familiarity, which is why it succeeds with the general population in addition to being an award winner.

The recipe in this thread is one of my favorites, but I have not gotten much more than "interesting" as a comment from anyone except for true beer lovers. Their loss. I brew variations of this IPA a lot, and my wife and I love it.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #239
Jaman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:

Possibly try adding a few more oz of Munich next time. This gives a nice grain after-taste which I find quite nice. That is the only alteration I have made to this recipe. Good luck!

Old 02-06-2013, 06:18 AM   #240
BruBird
Recipes 

Default Love this!

Thanks for this fantastic recipe! It is just over a week in the bottle and already tasting super fine!

Just one question, i dry hopped in Primary for 3 days (after one week of fermentation) then bottled. I get quite a sour/bitter grapefruit aftertaste - i assume this settles out (it is only 1.5 weeks in bottle after all!!) but what would be the optimum drinking time? I read that IPA's should sit for 2 months......but who can wait that long?! I see on here somebody said 3 weeks is good. Anyone wait longer than that? And did anyone else experience the aftertaste in the beginning?

I was too scared to transfer to secondary in case of oxidising - i don't have the glass carboy (hard to get hold of in SA) so would have had more headspace in the plastic bucket fermenter (25litre) hence why i threw the hops into the primary. I ran the whole lot through a filter at bottling.

Quick Reply