Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Citralaxy DIPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
autiger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default All-Grain - Citralaxy DIPA

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: 2 packets Safale US-05
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.75
Original Gravity: 1.092
Final Gravity: 1.026
IBU: 112
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 10.23
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 3-4 weeks
Tasting Notes: No Clue Yet, but should be tasty

I figure for my first all-grain attempt I might as well go big. I took inspiration on the grain bill from a couple of places(BM's Tits Up and Pliny for example). I hope to be brewing this on Sunday. I used brewer's friend to calculate this batch and used a 68% efficiency. Being my first attempt I went low and expect that might be a little high even.

17lbs. of Maris Otter-85%
1lbs. of Crystal 40L-5%
1lbs. of Carapils-5%
1lbs. of Corn Sugar-5%

1oz. Columbus @ 60min
1oz. Columbus @ 45min
1oz. Simcoe @ 15
1oz. Citra @ 10
1oz. Galaxy @ 10

2oz. Citra First DH 5 days
1oz. Simcoe First DH 5 days

3oz. Citra Second DH 7 days
2oz. Galaxy Second DH 7 days

Mash will be 60-90 minutes depending on how the temp is holding. Batch sparge

pitch two packets of Safale US-05 and let sit 3-4 weeks

Let me know what you think. I may take an oz. of Citra and possibly an oz. of the Galaxy away from the second DH and add them to the flavoring at 10min. If you have any ideas on how to get my FG to drop lower and dry this out more, please let me know.

Last edited by autiger; 06-01-2012 at 08:02 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2012, 12:17 AM   #2
autiger
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Brewed this today according to original recipe. Ending up hitting my batch volume and measured OG was 1.091. Efficiency was somewhere around 67%. That's exactly what I had expected for my first all-grain attempt. I did have one boil-over, but it happened right before I tossed in the first oz. of Columbus.

Brew day is considered a pending success, once fermentation takes off then I will officially label it successful.

Now it's the waiting game for 3-4 weeks and then dry hopping will begin

Old 06-04-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts

Let us know how it turns out. I brewed a DIPA for my first AG too and it turned out great.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:12 AM   #4
Robin0782
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Holy crap that is a lot of dry hops. I'm pretty happy with the aroma when I use 3 oz, especially using Citra. Stuff if potent. That's got to smell like you're walking through a hop field. And that sounds awesome.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:13 AM   #5
autiger
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yeah, I'm shooting for a nasal-gasm. In hindsight, I probably should have added an ounce of citra and galaxy at flameout, but we shall see. There are still a few bubbles in the airlock after 11 days(I know, not always a fermentation indicator), but I'll take a hydrometer reading on day 15 and see where it's at. I suspect I probably won't start the dryhopping until day 21 like planned.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:22 AM   #6
autiger
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

bad news, I took a hydrometer reading on day 8 and it was at 1.040, but didn't want to believe it because the cylinder I was using was crushed and it seemed to be stopping the hydrometer from dropping down correctly. I picked up a new hydrometer test tube today and took another reading. Seems that it is stuck at 1.040(6.7%ABV). I am going to take another reading on Monday and see if that is the case. If it truly is stuck then I will rack to secondary and make a starter with the yeast cake to try and pitch that or pick up another packet of yeast. I am thinking that I either re-hydrated the yeast in too warm of water or didn't get enough of it into the fermenter as it had clumped up and stuck to the stainless pot I was using to transfer.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:49 AM   #7
autiger
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

well, I was about to take a 3rd reading today, but after trying to rouse the yeast the last couple of days, I decided to move the fermenter upstairs out of the basement and put it in the bathtub with warm/hot water as I am starting to think that I had it too cold for the US-05. I immediately started to see action in the airlock and I am not getting my hopes up that this worked(but fingers crossed), I am going to proceed with making a starter this weekend and will take a hydrometer reading when I gets time to pitch it.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:21 AM   #8
autiger
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

this was a fail. I am going to skip the dryhop and possibly toss this out. No point in blowing several 5oz Citra, 2oz. Galaxy and 1oz of Simcoe. My thermometer seems to have been off, but if anything it was mashed at too low of a temp. I am going to toss some amylase enzyme tomorrow as a last ditch effort, but am not expecting much.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:30 AM   #9
cmybeer
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

Did you hit your mash temps? Were your thermometers calibrated correctly? I'm wondering if you might have mashed too high.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:29 AM   #10
autiger
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

i boiled some water last night and used two thermometers. Once it was boiling the one I used was only reading 200F while a different thermometer was at 212. They were both about the same as it was heating up, but after 160 the one I used started to lag behind. If it truly does lag behind or was off then I probably was mashing at 160+. It's time to buy a good thermometer.

Last edited by autiger; 06-22-2012 at 05:31 AM.

Quick Reply