Specialty IPA: Rye IPA Bee Cave Brewery Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale-05
Yeast Starter
Hydrated Dry
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
SRM 9
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days at 62-65 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Additional Fermentation
Crash cool to 39 degrees for 3 days then keg
Tasting Notes
Spicy, malty, & very tasty!
BCB Rye IPA

This is a tasty, yet big beer at 7.2% abv. The flaked barley gives it incredible head retention and a cascading effect like a nitrogen pour.

10# 2 Row Pils
2# Rye
2# Vienna
12 oz. Crystal 60L
8 oz. Flaked Barley

1 oz. Tettnanger FWH 4.4% (First Wort Hopped)
1 oz. Chinook 60 min 12%
0.5 oz. Chinook 30 min 12%
0.5 oz. Chinook 5 min 12%

Mashed in at 154 degrees for 70 minutes. Ran off 7 gallons and boiled for 90 minutes.

BCB-RyeIPA.jpg

Looks awesome! I will be brewing this. Any suitable substitutions for the tettnanger??

This looks excellent, and i've got a 1/2 lb of Chinook just waiting for some lovin'. What do you think about Willamette instead of the Tettnanger? Obviously a different flavor profile, but i think it could fly.

BYO Mag suggest the following sub for Tettnanger.

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]German Spalt, German Spalt Select, U.S. Tettnanger, Saaz[/FONT]

What would you think of some Simco in place of the Chinook. I just got 2 OZS of 11.6%AA
Mike

It depends on what you think of Simcoe, I think the aroma and taste is like cat pee( I'm serious)
I do not like Simcoe and it will change the recipe quite a bit if you are susceptible to those flavors
I've had this beer and liked it but I would not with Simcoe

For sure Simco is a different taste, but I see lots of clones of the dogfish 60 miniute IPA using it. I was going to try one of those but I also wanted to do one with Rye, then I saw this recipie and figured it may be the right one for me. I will try it and see how it comes out. Results will be posted
Mike

That's the thing about homebrewing, ya never know till you try.

That's why I keep my first time batches to 5 gallons.

How serious? you've tasted cat piss before?

To me it smells so much like cat pee that that is the only taste I perceive in this beer.
Much the same as I can't be in the same room with certain perfumes, (causes unbelievable headaches ) I am sensitive to certain aromas.

When I tried Weyerbachers Double Simcoe IPA I could not name the taste and odor I was detecting, although I did know that I did not like it. While reading on another site (a day or so after trying the beer) someone mentioned making an IPA with all Simcoe and most of his homebrew club thought it was great, and the rest thought it smelled catty. I suddenly realized what the smell was that I perceived from the beer

Looks amazing. I love rye whiskey and IPA's but never have had a rye beer. Any good commercial examples?

What is the advantage of pilsner malt vs plain 2-row?

If I were to do a PM of this, my grain limit is ~5-6 lbs, would this work:

1# 2 Row
1.5# Rye
1.5# Vienna
.75 lbs Crystal 60L
.5 lbs Flaked Barley

Thanks.

+DME to make up OG

If I were to do a PM of this, my grain limit is ~5-6 lbs, would this work:

1# 2 Row
1.5# Rye
1.5# Vienna
.75 lbs Crystal 60L
.5 lbs Flaked Barley

Thanks.

+DME to make up OG

Sure, but me sure to do a full boil and use RO water to top off your boil kettle to your Pre boil amount before you add your DME.

Sure, but me sure to do a full boil and use RO water to top off your boil kettle to your Pre boil amount before you add your DME.
:confused:

I can't do a full boil as I don't have a large enough pot. Will this be an issue?

My plan *was* to mash 1.25q/lb, then sparge ~2 gallons to boil ~3. Are you saying I need to do a full 5 gallon boil for some reason?

TIA.

I am brewing this as my first stove top all grain this weekend. Going to have to go with some czech saaz in place of the tettanger.

I just wanted to double check this. You used a dry yeast (rehydrated) with this recipe? No starter? How many packets did you pitch?

I am going to do this recipe tomorrow. I picked up an ounce of cascades instead of the tettnang. I didn't realize until I came home that they were 7.3AA. I assumed it was about 4.5AA - 5AA. Anyway, I'm wondering if this is too strong of a candidate for the FWH. I've never experimented with FWH before so I am unsure what to expect in that regards.

this recipe looks great! I'll be trying this one as soon as i can. Now I just need one more beer to put on tap in the new bar.....

Yup, this beer rocks! It came in at 7% so it's been sitting for three months. First glass last night was awesome. Next time I may not do the FWH, this beer may actually be to smooth.

DSCN1856.jpg

I bottled this recipe (brewed exactly to specifications, no experimenting) yesterday and it turned out delicious! I could drink this right now even without carbonation, but I am trying to be strong! I know it will get even better in the next few weeks. Prost! :mug:

I just ordered this kit from Brewmasters. This will be my second AG brew and I am excited. I do have a few questions about this recipe pertaining to my system.
I am using a 10gal Cooler with a false bottom....

I am assuming this recipe calls for a "Batch Sparge" like the Haus Pale Ale. For Ed's Haus Pale Ale I ended up with more pre-boil volume than expected (7gal instead of 6.5gal) and missed my OG a little low.
After mashing should you stir prior to adding the 180 degree water or after or both?
Do you repeat this after adding sparge water? The HPA recipe had it sit with the 175 degree sparge water for 15 minutes. Should I stir after this 15 minutes?

My kit came with a Fly Sparge system but I have yet to use it. Batch Sparging seems so easy but I fear I am leaving some sugar behind somehow, somewhere.

Thanks......

nope sorry. Rye needs mashed and so does the crushed barley. Check out deathbrewer's partial mash method and see if you can manage that setup. It's pretty simple really. You're probably able to do it if you get a strainer bag.

Has anybody ever tried dry-hopping this? I brewed it with chinook and saaz and have a couple ounces of chinook left that I'm planning on dry hopping it with. Not sure how much to use though?

Brewed this last Friday, came out with an OG of 1.080 lol, 80% efficiency. This should turn out great, thanks for the recipe.

I am brewing this tomorrow but I am going to kind of wing it when it comes to the hops. I have some random hops in the freezer at the moment.

Back