Alternative Sugar Beer Martian Matter Maple Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caine

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
WYeast 1028 London Ale
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Color
Brown
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 72F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 72F
Additional Fermentation
At least 5 days @ 72F
Grains:
4oz. Chocolate Malt
4oz. Biscuit Malt
8oz. Dark Crystal Malt

Fermentables:
3.3# Cooper's Light Malt Syrup
1# Munton's Amber Dry Malt Extract
0.5# Malto-Dextrin
1# Belgian Candi Sugar
37.5 oz. Maple Syrup

Hops:
1 oz. Fuggles (60 Mins boiling)
1 oz. Fuggles (1 Mins finishing)

Brewing/Primary Fermentation:
* Activate Wyeast at least 3 hours before starting brewing.
* Steep grains for 30 mins covered in 2 gallons water. Remove grains and sparge with another 1 gallon of pre-boiled 170F water.
* Mix all fermentables (except maple syrup and 1/2 of extract malt syrup) and bring to boil. Follow hops schedule above and add last 1/2 of extract malt syrup at 50 mins into boil (to help prevent discoloration or scorching).
* Remove kettle from heat and cool as rapidly as possible to 85F (using cooled water to top up to 5 gallons works well)
* Transfer to primary fermenter and aerate as desired, then pitch yeast.
* Ferment for 7 days in primary fermenter.

Secondary Fermentation:
* Mix 37.5 (or thereabouts) ounces of your choice of maple syrup (Grade B or C is actually preferred over Grade A, but any will work) with 2 cups of water and bring to a boil.
* Pour maple syrup into secondary fermenter, then rack beer from primary into secondary.
* Top off to 5 gallons.
* Ferment for 7 days in secondary fermenter. During this time, expect another round of heavy fermentation to kick off from the sugars in the maple syrup.

Tertiary Fermentation:
* After heavy secondary fermentation, you will have another layer of trub at the bottom of your secondary fermenter and will need to rack this beer to another fermenter.
* Rack into another fermenter, top off to 5 gallons, and leave as long as you like (at least 5 days).

Bottling:
* Bottle with 3/4 cup corn sugar (-or- 1 Cup Maple Syrup boiled with 1 Cup Water for an even stronger maple taste).

Computing alcohol content:
Since you are adding fermentables twice, one way to calculate alcohol content is to make individual measurements before and after mixing maple syrup during secondary fermentation, almost as though doing two calculations.

My measurements were:
Original Gravity: 1.045
Gravity Before Racking to secondary: 1.010
Gravity After Racking to Secondary and Mixing in Maple Syrup: 1.020
Final Gravity: 1.010

Using the difference between the 1.010 and 1.020, you can basically adjust your OG up by 0.010, so you can make your OG/FG calculation here 1.055 to 1.010.
For this, I get the following for this beer using the calculator here:
http://www.steubrew.com/alcohol-content-calculator.html

Apparent attenuation: 81%
Real attenuation: 66%
Alcohol by Weight: 4.6%
Alcohol by Volume: 5.9%
Calorie content:
- 186 calories per 12oz.
- 341 calories per 22oz.
Freezing point: 27F

FYI, a month after bottling, this beer is -really- good! The maple flavor is not overpowering at all and adds a lot to the finish. It has a great creamy thick head and I would say good head retention with a perfect medium brown color. Medium bodied and sweet with chocolate and an obvious maple syrup taste to it. Not super hoppy, but has a light bite to it. Finish is crisp and sweet with maple tones.

Only think I can think of to change is that I think next batch I will try with adding the maple syrup in with the primary...not boiled with the wort per se, just pasteurized and then dumped into the primary so I only have to rack once. I think the body is a good medium as is, but I know I had to top off twice and it makes me wonder how much more full-bodied this beer would be if I hadn't done that.

BTW,

I've just made this in a much simpler way and it has turned out very good I think!
Basically did everything the same except mixed in 32oz of Grade B Maple Syrup directly into the primary fermenter along with the wort (I didn't boil it at all, but you could pasteurize it if you wanted). That way one eliminate the second racking and saves time. The maple flavor is very clearly distinguishable. I also did not add the malto-dextrin into the boil, but plan to add it when I bottle (it's not fermentable, so any time should be fine).

I changed the steps above a little too:
* Steep grains for 30m-1h at 150F-155F
* Pitched at 70F.
* Changed finishing hops to just over 2m and the hoppiness really seems much nicer this go-round.

Caine,

I noticed that you posted this thread during last year's maple season, have you decided to make this particular recipe again this year?

I'm considering making a Maple Brown Ale and I'm looking for ideas. I like the idea of adding the maple during primary as I think this will get the desired flavor without dealing with the extra time of a third fermentation.

If anyone has any updates/ideas, please let me know.

I was looking for a recipe to make a maple syrup brown ale, and this one looks really good. The only thing I was considering changing was using brown sugar instead of straight up malto-dextrin, or maybe instead of the candy sugar to add a little extra something. Just wondered if you had any thoughts on the topic.

I decided to keep it simple for my first maple beer, because I'm a little new to the brew process. Plus, I was given sap and didn't have a lot of time to put something together.

So I decided to make an extract (True Brew Home Brew Kit) Brown Ale. The only difference is that I made the beer with slightly concentrated sap instead of water. I cooked about 12 gallons of sap down to 6 gallons, and then brewed 5 gallons of beer with that concentrated sap. Notice that although I concentrated the sap a little more than 2:1, syrup is created by a concentration of about 30:1, so there really isn't a lot of 'syrup' in the recipe.

My extract kit came with malto-dextrin and I thought about not adding as much, but I decided to make the kit as though I was making it in water, not changing a thing. I did this because I had no way of knowing how much to not include.

The OG was as expected a little high for a brown ale, so I expect the ABV to be a bit higher too, but it shouldn't be too bad. The smell of the beer is just wonderful (the smell coming off during mid-primary) and the color is looking great. I'll be bottling this Sunday ... crossing fingers!

i made this earlier this year with brown ale yeast due to availability and i was very, very happy. it was unremarkable 2-4 weeks after bottling but really developed over the next 2-3 months and has been a real crowd pleaser.

I did an altered version of this, and like you said, it took a while to find it's footing. Didn't even carb for 4 weeks. Now it's the perfect breakfast tailgate beer!

This is a great beer, brewed it back in September and I think its at it's prime now. This one needs a month at the minimum to condition IMO. Almost everyone who tried it has really enjoyed it!

Mine has been carbing for a little more than two weeks now. I cracked one at a week and a half. It was REALLY hot. Couldn't taste anything past the ethanol except a hint of maple. Hoping it cools off in time for New Years.

Yeah mine was really hot too at two weeks as well. Let it mellow for a few more, It should be fine by new years.

Brewed this up on Sunday, substituted the maltodextrin with brown sugar....looking forward to this in a few weeks

So I brewed this about two weeks ago. . . one week in the primary, and another in the secondary. . . . the beer is still really cloudy. Anyone have trouble like this or am I being impatient, I have thought about adding a bit of gelatin to clarify.

Thoughts?

Scott

Brewed this up on Sunday, substituted the maltodextrin with brown sugar....looking forward to this in a few weeks

Uhm maltodextrin is an unfermentable sugar, whereas brown sugar is a fermentable sugar. You cannot substitute brown sugar for it and achieve the same results, because the brown sugar will ferment, resulting in a higher ABV% and a drier beer than if you had used maltodextrin.

If your fermentation is finished, and you have access to a fridge, I would suggest cold crashing your beer for a few days to encourage flocculation.

Looking for yeast advice on my little tweak to this recipe.

I started with 25 gallons of maple sap, boiled it down to 7 gallons and will be brewing this tomorrow. I'm going to try to stick pretty close to the recipe, so here's what I'm planning:
4oz biscuit
8oz crystal 60
4 oz chocolate

3.3lbs briess golden light.
1lb light dme
1lb belgian candi sugar
possibly a pound of extra light dme(depending on gravity of condensed sap)

1oz fuggles for bittering and 1 oz fuggles at flame out

Here's my question: I have several dry yeasts at home, but I'm having trouble deciding which to use. S-04,S-05,Nottingham or windsor.

Any advice would be appreciated

Brewed this morning. Used 6.5 gallons of concentrated sap-gravity of sap was 1.016.

8 oz crystal 75
4 oz biscuit
2 oz chocolate
steeped for 30 min at 170

3.3 lbs cbw golden amber lme
1 lb cbw pilsen light dme
1 lb candi sugar

1 0z fuggles 60 min
1 oz fuggles 10 min
1 oz tettenang flameout

1 packet s-04

Will post updates on how it turns out.