Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > European Amber Lager > All-Grain - World's Best Oktoberfest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 02:36 AM   #81
Irishwrench
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Enjoying the last 12 pack of this particular beer. It came out a lil over carbbed, but I just crack the cap and let it sit for 15 minutes and it is perfect. So far this is my favorite that I have created. Thanks for sharing. Planning on another creating batch in 2 weeks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #82
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Hey, thanks for posting this recipe!

I have never done a decoration mash before. What additional equipment do I need? I have a 3 vessel 15 gal, Brutus 10 type setup. I'd plan to decoct to the boil kettle with the hop filter and dip tube removed. It's a 15 gal and on the stand the top rim is at armpit level. I figure ill need a nice long handled 1-2 qt metal ladle ?

I've got no heat regulation on my burners, just all on or all off. Gonna need an "assistant brewer" that day for sure!!

Also, questions on the fermentation schedule. This was asked early on, and you replied that this was in the OP and in bold, but either I'm blind or its been edited.
Seems like you pitch at 50 and then what? Hold it there at 50 until it attenuated to 1.025-1.020 (roughly 80% of what you expect for full attenuation) then diacetyl rest at 58 (is this high enough?) then rack (still at 58?) and lager at 38, by slowly cooling after racking.

Questions on the mash. How long do you hold protein rest after you return the initial portion OD first decoction? 15min? Or 20min?
Second question on the mash. What temp do you shoot for on the saccarification rest after returning the next portion of the first decoction?
Last question on the mash. Do you let the sacch rest go for full 60 minutes? It would seem conversion would be over before 60, no?

Thanks!

TD

Old 03-28-2013, 01:23 AM   #83
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Wow, lotta questions! I'm not too familiar with Brutus systems but it sounds like your plan will work. As long as you have a container to mash in, a container to decoct in, and a container to heat sparge water, all simultaneously. The fermentation schedule you quoted from post 7 is correct, and how I ferment this beer. It has worked extremely well for me. I hold the protein rest for 15 minutes, but you can lengthen or shorten it to your liking. 15 minutes is all I've ever tried. Saccharification is at 150 F, and yes I let it go a full 60 minutes. The conversion may be over before then, but I find that when mashed this way, I get a really nice malty/dry balance in the finished beer. Good luck!

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 03-28-2013, 02:21 AM   #84
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI
Wow, lotta questions! I'm not too familiar with Brutus systems but it sounds like your plan will work. As long as you have a container to mash in, a container to decoct in, and a container to heat sparge water, all simultaneously. The fermentation schedule you quoted from post 7 is correct, and how I ferment this beer. It has worked extremely well for me. I hold the protein rest for 15 minutes, but you can lengthen or shorten it to your liking. 15 minutes is all I've ever tried. Saccharification is at 150 F, and yes I let it go a full 60 minutes. The conversion may be over before then, but I find that when mashed this way, I get a really nice malty/dry balance in the finished beer. Good luck!
Thanks for quick reply!!
Yah, I know I ask a lot of questions! You clarified them all! Thanks!!

Gonna brew this one soon!

TD

Old 07-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #85
rjthomas21
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Any thoughts on how this would turn out if I skipped the decoction and did a normal 60 minute mash? I do BIAB so I don't believe I have the option to do a step/decoction mash schedule. Also, any idea on what temperature would be best for a 60 minute mash?

Thanks!

Old 07-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #86
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Well.

I brewed it, and finally hit expected FG. I followed the ferm schedule. My burners are acting up and I have some propane issues, which resulted in a significant amount of DMS. I think its too weak a boil for the 11 gal batch.

I ended up doing a step mash without a decoction. I think was a mistake. For one thing, the color is too light. For another. The flavor in hydro samples, is not malty enough.

I will not be doing a step mash again or else I would consider revising the grain bill. This brew I think probably NEEDS the decoction to shine.

I ended up brewing this on a different day than intended in order to take advantage of a large amount of lager yeast from a smaller Helles brew that had finished.
I intend to try again, and I am now planning to re use yeast again for a monster 1.100 dopplebock with a triple decoction.. Call me crazy.

TD

Old 07-17-2013, 02:26 AM   #87
shelly_belly
Someday Never Comes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjthomas21 View Post
Any thoughts on how this would turn out if I skipped the decoction and did a normal 60 minute mash? I do BIAB so I don't believe I have the option to do a step/decoction mash schedule. Also, any idea on what temperature would be best for a 60 minute mash?

Thanks!
Do it. I did and it was delicious. I mashed @ 155F. OG 1.054, FG 1.012

Old 07-24-2013, 06:13 AM   #88
MacrosNZ
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Oh man I have to make this!

Old 07-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #89
hbr2547
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

Pic looks amazing - second in queue

Old 07-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #90
jtratcliff

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjthomas21 View Post

Thanks!
I BiaB also and did the decoction called for in BrewKaiser's Altbier. It was no problem.

My boil kettle/Mash tun is 10 g and I usually dunk sparge in a 4 gal kettle.
So I just pulled the mash required for the decoction out of the grain bag in the 10 g kettle by scooping it out with a large pyrex measuring cup. I boiled in my 4 gal kettle and then added it back to the main mash as specified in the recipe. Kai has a video that shows how simple it is (though he doesn't BiaB).

As long as you have a separate kettle to boil your decoction in, BiaB is no hinderance.

Quick Reply