What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pizza again. Much better transfer this time.

20200523_175745.jpg

Pizza again. Much better transfer this time.

View attachment 681826

I might suggest you try the parchment paper method or get a pizza screen. I got pretty good as transferring pies to the stone from the peel but it was always stressful and the occasional failure made a horrible mess and usually required making alternate dinner plans. Now with the screens I start them for 4-6 mins, then pull the screen out and put them on the deck the finish. Bottom texture isn’t quite as good as if you direct launch but it’s good and it’s way easier.

Continuing the healthy lifestyle.... this is the only way sous vide does beef any good. Defrosted prime beef brisket from a smoke session about 2 months ago for an hour at 135 in a vac bag right to a toasted brioche. Better than fresh because no all day cooking and cleanup takes a minute.

689E7259-BAD6-4952-B6D0-0072B121D6A1.jpeg

Continuing the healthy lifestyle.... this is the only way sous vide does beef any good. Defrosted prime beef brisket from a smoke session about 2 months ago for an hour at 135 in a vac bag right to a toasted brioche. Better than fresh because no all day cooking and cleanup takes a minute.

View attachment 682121

Good idea!

I made sous vide ribs yesterday (pork). About 18 hrs @ 160F, then add rub and 30 minutes indirect on grill over wood. No pics (had a golf watch party), but it was great and enjoyed by all. I'll never do ribs any other way.

I love to sous vide steaks at 132* for a couple hours (depending on cut and how marbled they are) and just throw them in a screaming hot cast iron skillet for a minute or so each side to sear/crisp the outside. Perfectly cooked edge to edge and just delicious.

129° steak guy here (45-60min) then either in a ripping hot cast iron skillet or in the Akorn.

Good idea!

I made sous vide ribs yesterday (pork). About 18 hrs @ 160F, then add rub and 30 minutes indirect on grill over wood. No pics (had a golf watch party), but it was great and enjoyed by all. I'll never do ribs any other way.

How do you prep the ribs before going in the bath?

Good idea!

I fill the smoker up with ribs when I do them then vac seal half slabs. Same technique to reheat. All the flavor with none of the less or effort.

Sous vide sucks for almost everything.

Mmmmmmmmmmm, gonna have to disagree.

It’ll make edible meat but i can think of 2-3 more flavorful ways to cook food. And if you’re gonna dirty up a cast iron pan, why bother with sous vide?

I’ve cooked every 1st world country protein on it and have concluded that the only thing it is better at than another method:
1. Chicken/turkey breasts
2. Bringing butter up from fridge temp to creaming temp quickly and precisely.
3. Reheating smoked foods

Makes the blandest steak imaginable. You don’t even realize how flavorless meat is until you’ve had it sous vide. All the flavor is from salt, seasonings, and most significantly, browning.

It’ll make edible meat but i can think of 2-3 more flavorful ways to cook food. And if you’re gonna dirty up a cast iron pan, why bother with sous vide?

I’ve cooked every 1st world country protein on it and have concluded that the only thing it is better at than another method:

Makes the blandest steak imaginable. You don’t even realize how flavorless meat is until you’ve had it sous vide. All the flavor is from salt, seasonings, and most significantly, browning.

For me, sous vide has nothing to do with less pans to clean, it's more about convenience, consistency, and flexibility.

And I'm telling ya, it makes a damn good eggs benedict. ;)

Well, yea, not good for steak.

Also, duck confit, which I've eaten at 1 yr old, cooked sous vide in duck fat and stored in that vac bag in fridge.

Also, duck confit, which I've eaten at 1 yr old, cooked sous vide in duck fat and stored in that vac bag in fridge.

I can believe that. I've had decent luck with dark meat chicken quarters. Really good texture on the meat, almost like duck confit. The skin has always been a let down though. Just too water logged to ever get crispy. A duck is not a chicken though.

Pork loin is also good sous vide.

I've had reasonable success with sous vide bone-in pork roasts. It definitely made a more even cook than the oven version, but even the oven rendition with more temperature variance had much more flavor than the sous video version that had a more even temp. Something about pork fat taking time to render and get crispy trumps one that is cooked to the perfect temperature but lacks in texture.

But if you're trying to compare your grandmothers cooked-to-death oven pork roast to a 135F sous vide, well then i'll take the sous vide. I'm just saying a properly cooked traditional piece of meat has a ton more flavor than its equivalent sous vide version.

Good idea!

Do you cook them first in the packer bag or do you first cut and repack?

Do you cook them first in the packer bag or do you first cut and repack?

Repack. Those cryovac bags aren't always waterproof in the sous vide (I learned the hard way). Plus, I do remove the membrane on the bone side before cooking, though I've never determined if that was necessary or not. I add a few sprinkles of salt in each bag and seal. I only add rub (dry or wet) when I put it on grill the next day. Anway, meaty tender ribs, never dryed out.

I'm not a big proponent of sous vide really. I use it mostly for cheesemaking, where it's really useful.

Chicken nachos and Rancho Gordo pinto beans.
View attachment 681377

Don't remember if I posted about them or not, but I cooked Rancho Gordo Vaquero beans the other night as a side for something. Those are the black and white ones that look like 101 Dalmatians. I soaked them for about 5 hours, then added chicken stock, bay leaf, sauteed onion, boiled them for 15 minutes then simmered till done. Just AMAZING beans, and one of my new favorites. They stand up to cooking without getting mushy, but yield a rich creamy pot liquor and taste outstanding! Ranch Gordo seems out of most everything, but well worth it if you can get some. I have Cranberry beans from them I have yet to try but am looking forward to :)

Started a batch of chicken mu but i season mine more like Japanese takuan. I also use turmeric to stain the radish first before brining so it looks like danmuji.

Weep daikon in sugar or salt and sugar for a couple hours.
Strain the radish and stain it with tumeric for 30min
Very quick rinse so you dont cloud your brine.
Make a sweet brine with rice vinegar and sugar. Salt is really optional for this recipe.

Peppercorns and a dried chile pepper or two go in the jar first. Im using Thunder Mountain Longhorn. A slice of fresh or candied ginger is also nice.
After its all packed in a jar, pour in warm but not scalding hot brine and seal it.
Put it in the fridge for at least a week.
Keeps for several months easily.

Don't remember if I posted about them or not, but I cooked Rancho Gordo Vaquero beans the other night as a side for something. Those are the black and white ones that look like 101 Dalmatians. I soaked them for about 5 hours, then added chicken stock, bay leaf, sauteed onion, boiled them for 15 minutes then simmered till done. Just AMAZING beans, and one of my new favorites. They stand up to cooking without getting mushy, but yield a rich creamy pot liquor and taste outstanding! Ranch Gordo seems out of most everything, but well worth it if you can get some. I have Cranberry beans from them I have yet to try but am looking forward to :)

The vaquero beans are in our backyard alongside their corona beans. We should be able to harvest some later this year (fall?)...I think we have three(ish) plants of each...they're still quite small though (3-7 inches).

I have ground pork, I have noodles (not mung bean though)...tell me about that sauce @AZ_IPA

Roughly (for 8oz dried noodles and 1lb ground pork)....

2.5-3 c. Chicken stock
1.5 T doubanjiang (I used Gochujang)
1 T. Light soy
2 tsp dark soy
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp. Shaoxing
1/2 tsp. Black vinegar
A bit of powdered ginger and garlic (fresh would be better)

If you use a noodle other than mung bean, decrease the sauce a bit, as mung bean noodles really soak up sauce!

2.5-3 c. Chicken stock
1 T. Light soy
2 tsp dark soy
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp. Shaoxing
1/2 tsp. Black vinegar

If you use a noodle other than mung bean, decrease the sauce a bit, as mung bean noodles really soak up sauce!
There is a fortune to be made on doubanjiang... $1 on Alibaba, $15 on Amazon!

2.5-3 c. Chicken stock
1 T. Light soy
2 tsp dark soy
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp. Shaoxing
1/2 tsp. Black vinegar

Well, I have chicken stock, soy, and sugar ... lol, that's about it.

I fill the smoker up with ribs when I do them then vac seal half slabs. Same technique to reheat. All the flavor with none of the less or effort.

Sous vide sucks for almost everything.
I strongly disagree. I enjoy everything I have sous vide. A medium rare stake from edge to edge, prime rib you can literally cut with a fork, curry chicken with the curry flavor deep in the chicken. Start it early and go about your day with no worry about over cooking. It's fool proof.

It's fool proof.

And flavorless for steak. Sure its edge to edge medium rare, but the fat isn't rendered and there's no browning. Sure you can add those things but then its not edge to edge medium rare anymore.

I can see how a curry chicken would work just fine. It's a wet sauce with tons of spices. Browning flavor isn't important. Might give that a try actually. Normally i'd just cook that on the stove top since it's 1 pot and 20 minutes.

Back