What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for clarifying. Removing fat is not in my vocabulary. My biggest beef (I doubt it is my biggest) is low fat chocolate milk. If you're going to have chocolate in liquid, you need to pull out the stops. Besides, when things are low fat, the fat is replaced by sugar usually so that's just crazy.

Depends on the chorizo. Ive cooked some down that was nearly 50% fat afterwards. I use good lard most of the time for mine and 2-3 TBS is plenty for a few servings of refined beans. There is some residual fat left in the meat and from cooking the "sofrito" first too. So its anything but low fat. Some of the fat however might be plant based depending on the meat im using. I fry almost everything in avocado oil or rice bran oil.

I wont buy anything but whole milk. Growing up around dairy cattle and having real fresh milk made skimmed crap taste like water.

I've not used chorizo but once you get that high (50%), I see the point of it being too much. I did make cabbage rolls once with pork that had too high of a fat percentage. Again, there is a point. Everything else though, I leave. I don't trim rib fat, chicken fat or beef fat.
I grew up on powdered milk which is not very good. When I finally got my hands on whole milk and real butter, I never looked back.

No chick peas, more cheese tonight; these riffs on panzanelle are real go-to suppers for me in warm weather. (Now, I'm just waiting for local strawberries to come in, and I'll be into my very favorite versions...)
20200602_170640.jpg

Rogue hot sauce. Not terribly hot, maybe 50k SHU max but probably closer to 35k. Mixed some with a really mild chunkie pineapple hab sauce from Rothchild Farms. Smothered a couple pork tenderloins in it. Cracked out some good rice and some surprisingly good store bought kimchi (after i aged it another few months) :p

BaYKys6.jpg

Fv1lN9b.jpg

One of my Costcos sells this pretty cheap and it aint bad at all. Im out of homemade atm except for my hotdog slaw kimchi.
1JBk0vj.jpg

Rice has a classic Japanese seasoning on top called Furikake. This one is made with dried/smoked bonito. (katsuo) So its called Katsuo or Kastuobushi Fumi Furikake. Oops this one is Katsuo Mirin Furikake and made in Japan. The other one i get is made in Taiwan. Stuff is killer on rice.
k8zEnGU.jpg

1mMIvUv.jpg

My wife and I have been watching Top Chef for the 14yrs or so that we've been together, and this Saturday we paid for a class to cook alongside Chef King. The event was "Congee for a Cause" so we made ... ... ... congee ; )

It's pretty amazing and quite easy albeit a bit time consuming.

(one of the four bowls, each time we added more/different toppings)

This serving has scallion ginger sauce, cilantro, purple onion, fried shallots, crispy pork belly, a little hot sauce from my Suegra, and some machacha from Monterrey.
IMG_20200613_123458.jpg

Back