*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Official Hot Sauce Making Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2011, 11:46 PM   #101
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Unfortunately, my plants aren't doing to well this year...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2011, 04:46 AM   #102
jgln
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
Nice. I have a whole slew of hot/flavorful stuff this year. Tabasco, anaheim, poblano, serrano, habanero, lots of jalapeno and hungarian hot and banana peppers. Should have lots of fun concocting a hot sauce this fall.

Have you tried letting them really ripen on the plant to where they get deep red and soft especially in the fall? Adds another dimension to the flavor. I stumbled across that when I was to busy to pick and do something with them and when I did they were on the plant for a while. They were beginning to wrinkle and dry out but still soft and not rotting to my surprise. Best tasting sauce I made so far. Try it. Of course I will pick them throughout the summer but once I got some sauce in stock I let the rest sit since any new flowers won't have time to mature that late in the year anyway.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:51 AM   #103
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by usfmikeb View Post
Unfortunately, my plants aren't doing to well this year...
Do you know why that is? This year I waited a bit longer because in the spring we get these cold strong winds that beat the hell out of the plants and we live in open farm land with no wind block. One year the winds beat off (ha,ha) just about all the leaves and really set them back, they never really recovered.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:44 AM   #104
siobhan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I made this one to clean out the garden last fall. The peppers were a random mix of jalapeno, serrano and Georgia Flame, all ripened to bright red.

4 to 5 oz of small fresh hot red peppers
½ c dry sherry
½ c brandy
A wedge of salt-preserved lemon, skin and all. (It was supposed to be ½ c lime or lemon juice, but I didn't have any of that).
(½ tsp salt - I left this out due to the salt-preserved lemon)

Wash & dry the peppers. Cut off the stems, but don’t take out the seeds or cores. Puree them in a blender or food processor with the brandy, sherry, citrus component and salt.

Put the puree in a large canning jar and cover tightly with cheesecloth or other fabric to exclude dust and critters, but let air circulate. Keep in a warm spot for at least 2 weeks, occasionally swirling it around to mix it up.

Taste it to judge the level of heat, and add cayenne to taste if needed. Blend it again (blender or food processor) to make it as smooth as possible. Push every last bit of puree possible through a fine sieve, leaving just the seeds and tough bits behind.

Funnel the sauce into a jar or bottle for table use and store, covered, in the refrigerator. Keeps indefinitely.

This made almost a pint, pretty hot with a strong lemon tang. I was surprised by the heat of the Georgia Flame peppers. They were the size of banana peppers, so I expected about that level of heat;also, the label promised only moderate heat, so I had planted these to be my mild variety. I don't think they cross-pollinated and we didn't have unusually hot weather, but they were easily as hot as the other two.

It was fun, and I'll do it again this year. Probably with slightly different results, as the garden cleanings are bound to be a bit different.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #105
Ravenshead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Here's the one I made last weekend:

6-8 Jalokia Bhuts
15 Habeneros
8 Dutch Cayennes
1.5 c white vinegar
16 oz Can of tomato sauce
2 bottles of Guinness minus a couple samples
enough olive oil to emulsify

I cooked the whole mixture down until the vegetables were soft and blended with a hand held Cuisinart adding the olive oil as I mixed.

I'm really surprised both at how good it tastes and how not-so-hot it is. I had expected more out of the Jalokias. The next batch will be the same recipe minus the Dutch peppers and with twice the Jalokias.

[QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polorl69 View Post
I had no problems whatsoever getting my pee to ferment.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:41 AM   #106
bill42
Recipes 

anyone know a good forum specificially for hot sauce making?

Old 07-09-2011, 12:09 PM   #107
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 200 Posts

http://www.thehotpepper.com/

Old 07-28-2011, 12:47 AM   #108
markg388
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

This is mine, I make it at work in 10 pound (of chilis) batches at a time, i haven't made the same batch twice yet though the results are surprisingly consistent.

any ammount of your favorite blend (or not a blend) of chili peppers
oil
salt, sugar and lemon juice to taste

- de-stem (but leave the seeds in) the chilis and pulse em in the food processor until they look minced
- place in a saucepan and add just enough vegetable oil to cover
- bring it up to high heat, kill it when the pot comes to a good "boil" and give it a good stir, letting the residual heat to a little bit more cooking.
- Cool, then season to taste with salt, sugar and lemon juice.

The oil helps it keep longer in the fridge, and you kind of get 2 products: the oil and the chunky goodness.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:15 PM   #109
9am53
Recipes 

I am glad I found this...funny how similar us homebrewers are eh?

I have made many hot sauces using papayas and mangoes, but recently found a chili sauce that I really liked, and though I would make more of a salsa type sauce that I can slather on chicken and eggs in large quantities, that is full of flavour and only medium heat. Quantities of ingredients will be improvised and jotted down during cooking, so these are just ballpark estimates.

1 dozen unripened hungarian peppers
5 ripened hungarian peppers
2 ripe habanero
3 onions
3 large sweet potatoes
5 roma tomatoes
5 random heirloom tomatoes from the garden
3 heads of garlic
dark ale
olive oil
salt

I am planning on smoking half of the peppers, and half of the tomatoes over applewood, half of the onions will be carmelized in olive oil, and the sweet potatoes will be roasted with olive oil. The garlic will be roasted as well. Once this is all done I will throw it all in a pot and add my dark ale to adjust sweetness and consistency. This will cook down, cool, and food process. I thought the roasted garlic and roasted sweet potato and smoked pepper and tomato flavours would be nice and round and robust and would complement the heat and sharpness of the peppers.

what do you think?

Old 08-04-2011, 12:19 AM   #110
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've grown peppers for the last several years. Mostly bells and Italian frying peppers Two to four plants per year. Occasionally a jalapeno. My garden is only about 48 sq. '. This year I grew chiles and jalapenos and (I'm guessing) because I've been adding my spent grains to the garden all winter, it's taken off. I've got 12 - 18 jalapenos and about 20 chiles. I don't want to waste them rotting on the vine (cukes too, btw). Any suggestions (freezing, drying, etc.)?

Quick Reply