Hopped Corn?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamjackson

Reaction score
Weird request. i'm doing a beer themed BBQ. Trying to get as many dishes that involve beer as possible. Guinness Cookies, Marinated beer meats, etc...

I want to make hopped corn. How would I go about doing this? Boil hops for 30 minutes and then boil it down from 3 gallons to maybe 6 ounces then brush that on the corn?

Would that work?

I would think boiling the hops in the same water as the corn would be my first attempt. Do a few ears as a test on your stovetop to see what you think.

I don't think you're going to want bitterness; just some flavor/aroma.

I'd crush some cascade pellets into a fine dust and sprinkle very lightly on cooked ears.

I've tried cooking a number of things with hops without success. The bitterness is just too much.

I like the ideas above, both sound reasonable.

I hate desert normally, but had this at NHC in San Diego last year, and it was amazing:

Cascade hop infused flan topped with a 2-row malted caramel sauce

That would be so bitter it would make most people spit it out.

Stealing a trick from my youth: Toss a half an ounce of an aroma hop in a quart mason jar (or some heat-proof jar tall enough to accomidate an ear of corn. Fill with hot water (~140F) about 3/4s full. Then just dip each ear. Float some butter on the top for authenticity.

Back