Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > homemade ice cream?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2009, 04:25 PM   #1
yummybeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default homemade ice cream?

just wondering if anyone makes homemade ice cream? i haven't made any for about a year and 1/2 because i've been busy brewing beer. would like to get back into making ice cream as often as i brew beer. anyone have any good recipes for homemade ice cream?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 04:32 PM   #2
chefmike
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I make ice cream... though like you, I have not made any in a while.

My two favorite recipes are both Alton Brown. Both are basic, but I cannot get over them:

banana ice cream

Ingredients

* 6 (approximately 2 1/4 pounds) ripe bananas
* 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
* 3/4 cup light corn syrup
* 1 vanilla bean, scraped (I sub in extract alot with no issues)
* 1 1/2 cups heavy cream (I have used half & half... but it is ice CREAM!)

Directions

Place bananas in freezer and freeze overnight. Remove bananas from freezer and allow to thaw for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Peel bananas and place in bowl of food processor along with the lemon juice. Process for 10 to 15 seconds. Add corn syrup and vanilla bean seeds and turn processor on. Slowly pour in the heavy cream. Process until smooth. Chill mixture in refrigerator until it reaches 40 degrees. Transfer mixture to an ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's instructions. Place mixture in an airtight container and freeze for 3 to 6 hours before serving.

Chocolate ice cream:

Ingredients

* 1 1/2 ounces unsweetened cocoa powder, approximately 1/2 cup
* 3 cups half-and-half
* 1 cup heavy cream
* 8 large egg yolks
* 9 ounces sugar
* 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Directions

Place the cocoa powder along with 1 cup of the half-and-half into a medium saucepan over medium heat and whisk to combine. Add the remaining half-and-half and the heavy cream. Bring the mixture just to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and remove from the heat.

In a medium mixing bowl whisk the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the sugar and whisk to combine. Temper the cream mixture into the eggs and sugar by gradually adding small amounts, until about 1/3 of the cream mixture has been added. Pour in the remainder and return the entire mixture to the saucepan and place over low heat. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon and reaches 170 to 175 degrees F. Pour the mixture into a container and allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Stir in the vanilla extract. Place the mixture into the refrigerator and once it is cool enough not to form condensation on the lid, cover and store for 4 to 8 hours or until the temperature reaches 40 degrees F or below.

Pour into an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's directions. This should take approximately 25 to 35 minutes. Serve as is for soft serve or freeze for another 3 to 4 hours to allow the ice cream to harden.

Building: gardens, recipes, and trailer mounted smoker/ wood pizza oven

Old 12-28-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yummybeer View Post
just wondering if anyone makes homemade ice cream? i haven't made any for about a year and 1/2 because i've been busy brewing beer. would like to get back into making ice cream as often as i brew beer. anyone have any good recipes for homemade ice cream?
David Lebovitz wrote the book on home ice cream making:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1580088082/davidleboviswebs

His blog has lots of recipes, info on makers etc (also recipes for other desserts).

This is a tangent, but I don't own an ice cream maker and had surprisingly good results from Harold McGee's zip lock bag method he wrote about in his NYT column (two big ziplock bags full of brine and a third bag with ice cream mixed sandwiched in between).

Old 12-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #4
Palefire
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

+1000 on "The Perfect Scoop." When I saw this thread title I was going to post about it, but someone already did! I've been making ice cream for a few years, and I haven't found any recipes or techniques better than Lebovitz's. Really, it's a necessity.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:40 PM   #5
yummybeer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

chefmike-- the banana ice cream looks really good.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:00 PM   #6
chefmike
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

The banana ice cream will change the way you look at banana ice cream forever.

I will have to check out the Lebovits book. Just what I need... another book on food!

Harold McGee always has a good answer. Thanks Remiliard!

Building: gardens, recipes, and trailer mounted smoker/ wood pizza oven

Old 01-13-2010, 02:00 AM   #7
BA_from_GA
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

gonna have to try that banana ice cream!! We make pretty much all our ice cream these days. One of those wedding gifts that SWMBO said "we'll never use that"... all i'm sayin is it gets way more use than the iron and the color coordinated bathroom candles combined!

brewing lots, rather not keep it all updated here

inhbc.org

Old 01-14-2010, 07:50 PM   #8
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

One of my favorites to make is a Zabaglione Ice cream recipe from a Biba Caggione cook book. Last couple times, I swapped out the marsala in favor of Belgian ale, and it works well. Not sure of exact recipe but there are many online, e.g.:

http://www.culinate.com/books/collections/all_books/The+Perfect+Scoop/Zabaglione+Gelato

Old 01-14-2010, 08:11 PM   #9
wrangler
Recipes 

guys & gals - there is but ONE ice cream, and that is guinness ice cream.

BEST. ****. EVER.

the chocolate honey sauce is fantastic with it too, but you can easily halve the recipe and still have plenty. we have some super fresh honey sent from our friend in mississippi, and it took the sauce completely over the top.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/guinness-ice-cream-with-dark-chocolate-honey-sauce-recipe/index.html

Primary: Yardhop Nugget IPA
Primary: nada
Secondary: nada
Bottle Conditioning: nada
Drinking: O.G.G. E.S.B., Isabella's Power Hour IPA v3.0, Sunday Song Stout
Cellared: Home-Grown Nugget Pale Ale, Isabella's Power Hour IPA v2.0, Tangelo Hefeweizen, Isabella's Power Hour IPA, DoubleHop ESP ExtraSpecialPorter
Distant Memory: Lady Chesapeake Brown Ale, First Pale Ale, Grandpa's Irish Stout

Old 01-14-2010, 08:40 PM   #10
krispy d
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

the wife makes that guiness ice cream often. as well as a strawberry margarita sorbet with patron, and hot chili chocolate that packs a surprising wallop of heat!

Old Burnside Ten Penny Ale
Primary
Westbrook Porter
Secondary

Empty
Up Next
A big IPA ??

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”
-Benjamin Franklin

Quick Reply