Burger Flavoring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious on what you guys would suggest for flavoring. What are some techniques and spices you guys use, to a make your burgers mouth watering?

Nature's Seasoning by Morton, since about 1976. I have no reason to try anything else at the grill.

Salt, pepper and Worcester. That's it. Assuming you're starting with good hamburger those three to taste are all that's needed.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

That's a sure winner every time but I used to sometimes use applewood smoked salt and add diced fire roasted poblanos (extra work but worth it) to the meat. Also Melinda's brand catsup rocks. Comes in chipotle or jalapeño. Lol vegetarian now so no more burgers here.

I dont' normally season my burgers for the grill. Usually when I'm making burgers, I'm going for the quick/easy meal. Perhaps I will give some of these a go next time.

That said, when I'm making sliders for the smoker, I use a ration of 60:40 80/20 ground chuck to bacon. Mix that up, make a small pocket inside and put in cheese (whatever you have on hand), and smoke that for about 2 hrs over applewood. Damn.

One of my favorites is to mix frank's red hot and blue cheese crumbles into the beef. It doesn't work as well if you like your burger cooked well done though. If I'm not in the mood for that then I usually mince onion and jalapeno (or green chiles) and mix in with some salt and pepper and worcestershire sauce. It makes for a fantastic burger as well.

For around 2 pounds of burger:
2-3 tsp Teriyaki (the secret ingredient and totally underrated in burgers)
2-3 tsp Worch to taste
2 tsp Tabasco Chipotle sauce
1T minced garlic
Freshly-ground salt and pepper
1-2T your favorite savory BBQ/steak rub, with plenty of mesquite or hickory flavor, to taste
1 egg as a binder

One of my favorites is to mix frank's red hot and blue cheese crumbles into the beef. It doesn't work as well if you like your burger cooked well done though. If I'm not in the mood for that then I usually mince onion and jalapeno (or green chiles) and mix in with some salt and pepper and worcestershire sauce. It makes for a fantastic burger as well.

I put that sh*t on EVERYTHING.

have you tried their Chile 'n Lime?

used to be able to get it in the local grocery stores, but now we gotta order it online.

but it is friggin tasty

I'm a S&P&W guy. I don't like to work the meat too much, I like to see the crumbly texture of the ground beef.

If cheese, it has to be the sharpest cheddar I can find. American cheese is the bud light of cheeses: no thanks.

Super hot grill. I like the outside crunchy and the inside medium rare. The meat doesn't get on the grate until it registers 450F. If using coal, let them burn for a long while with the top open. You'll have 450F soon after replacing the lid.

Never press a burger on the grill. Want to avoid the fat bloated burger patty? When making patties, push a depression in the middle of it. When it cooks, the depression pops out and it will be perfectly formed.

If you're looking, you ain't cooking. Figure out the timing of your grill so you don't have to open it and cause those nasty flare-ups. A little scorching is OK, but nobody wants a carbon patty.

I'm a S&P&W guy. I don't like to work the meat too much, I like to see the crumbly texture of the ground beef.

If cheese, it has to be the sharpest cheddar I can find. American cheese is the bud light of cheeses: no thanks.

Super hot grill. I like the outside crunchy and the inside medium rare. The meat doesn't get on the grate until it registers 450F. If using coal, let them burn for a long while with the top open. You'll have 450F soon after replacing the lid.

Never press a burger on the grill. Want to avoid the fat bloated burger patty? When making patties, push a depression in the middle of it. When it cooks, the depression pops out and it will be perfectly formed.

If you're looking, you ain't cooking. Figure out the timing of your grill so you don't have to open it and cause those nasty flare-ups. A little scorching is OK, but nobody wants a carbon patty.

oh, yeah. this is key

form consistent patties, use consistent heat. burgers on, close lid, start timer. alarm goes off, open lid, flip burgers, close lid, start timer. alarm goes off, pull.

Surprised noone has posted pictures :) Anyhow, I'll kick it off with one of the two burgers I made over the weekend. Took one pound of 93% grass-fed and pureed 7 chipotle peppers and mixed 3 massive cloves of finely chopped garlic. Topped with bacon, freshly grated monterey jack, cilantro, and a homemade chipotle mayo (3 tbsp or so of real mayo & 3 more chipotles).

DSC_0309.JPG

I like to keep the seasonings simple with salt and pepper on the top side as I put them on the grill, then when I flip I add more salt & pepper, and top with cheese if applicable. I like mine medium to medium rare, so 3-4 minutes @425-450! Next I think I might add roasted jalepenos (pureed) to the beef mix. Think outside of the spice cabinet for your "mixings" :p

[Edit 1:52 pm] Made four 5 oz burgers, not one-one lber, lol.

I cooked burgers for a TON of people last weekend.

salt
pepper
oregano
thyme
basil
cinnamon
nutmeg
paprika
thyme
garlic powder
onion powder

Avacado
smoked ghouda cheese
grey poupon
mayo
onion
tomato

Even the Lady who "hates avacado" had a second one....with avacado.

Must have made 30 of them! It was work not overcooking any and not burning any buns!

Awesome me.

;)

Latest posts

Back