Welding Near Rockford, IL?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3PegBrew

Reaction score
I know this is a shot in the dark, but I was wondering if anyone was near Rockford, IL who can do decent welding....

Will pay with money and beer...or just beer if you are a humble person.

My old home town! Hey I'm in the same boat as you.... I just decided to go to a harbor freight and by myself a welder for about $100. I'm teaching myself to use it right now. Its ugly but getting better.

My old man told me that harbor freight sells stuff that works for 2 uses and breaks.

But I've been reading about people on here buying stuff there.

Either:

A) My old man really judges a book by its cover

or

B) People don't mind buying cheap things that break

I want to learn how to weld...my wife didn't like it when I learned how to sweat pipe. She disliked the thought of a torch in my hand.

Im in rockford as well. I went out and purchased a refurbed unit off ebay and learned how to weld using that. Are you trying to weld stainless? Check the yellow pages for a welder, I am no where experienced enough to do the welding for you. Or check out a Forest City Brewers meeting, there has gotta be someone there that can weld

Yeah I think the consensus is that if you are a professional you ought to buy elsewhere but if you're a hobbiest on a budget your ok going there. For example I bought one of their angle grinders for $20 And I have made three keggles with no issues. I'll be using the same grinder to clean up the welds on my brew stand. I'm certainly not an apologist for the store, just sharing what has been a positive experience thus far. Either way good luck man!

I got it. That explains why he has always thumbed his nose. I dont want to use the tools professionally for the kegs and such. Maybe i will wander over there.

I'm in Rockford, I only have a Harbor Freight welder though, bought it in December of '04. It's still going strong. What do you need welded?

I only visit in the area; But is'nt there a chopper shop in rockford? I know there's a custom shop in one of those town. If they can cut and weld a frame , they can do a keggle fix. Maybe a little barter and bull deal. Good luck. Cheers from da UP :D

Back