use this valve on boil kettel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lincoln

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
do you think i can use this valve on a 55 gal boil kettel? I have no idea who made it. it came on a wine fermenter. it has a black rubber gasket inside but not really any kind of makers mark.

IMG_0810.jpg

If it is close to the heat source, the rubber may deteriorate, but if it is on the inside and covered by wort, It should be ok. Looks like a large valve. Nice find!

That appears to be a butterfly valve. They are typically rather pricey. I would be concerned about damaging the rubber seat exposing it to high temperatures. Protect it from excessive heat and it should work OK, but might be better to use a ball valve and save the butterfly valve for use on something else like a conical fermenter maybe.

That appears to be a butterfly valve. They are typically rather pricey. I would be concerned about damaging the rubber seat exposing it to high temperatures. Protect it from excessive heat and it should work OK, but might be better to use a ball valve and save the butterfly valve for use on something else like a conical fermenter maybe.

they are large 2" i think. i have 6 of them as well as some other fittings. its tempting to sell them to fund other projects...

More pics? Dimensions? If you want to sell I may be interested in one. Flip a Sanke Keg upside-down add the valve to the bottom with the tri-clover fitting/gasket, then you can have a bottom draining electric kettle/hlt/mlt.

they are definitely 2"
here is the spread:
IMG_0821.jpg

filter housing
IMG_0822.jpg

makers mark on the valve
IMG_0823.jpg

I'm not terribly convinced i want to sell them, i know i will find a use, so one would have to offer a good price

Back