Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Show us your sculpture or brew rig

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #1271
dallasdb
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qeelin View Post
Here's my homemade sparge setup. Just an old pie plate that I drilled holes in.
I really like this idea!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #1272
wncbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Google search for rims turned up only rims, as in what tires are mounted on, and I figured swmbo was some inside code exclusive to this forum. Sorry for ruffling feathers, was just trying to sort out the jargon. I'll post pics of my rig as soon as it is a little more complete

Old 05-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #1273
gobuchul74
Recipes 

Here's my RIMS setup. Does the job nicely.

img_5014_2.jpg   img_5015_2.jpg  

Old 05-07-2011, 12:21 AM   #1274
Qeelin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdb View Post
I really like this idea!!!
Cool, thanks. I just didn't want to spend the money right now for a sparge arm.

"A good beer will sell itself" -Kosmos Spoetzl

Fermenting:
Bottled: Fireside Ale, Blackberry Melomel
Kegged:
On Deck: Fireside Clone

Old 05-09-2011, 12:03 AM   #1275
wncbrewer
Recipes 

Still have some work to do but getting close, I've done everything myself except for the counterflow which I inherited from an area brewer who upgraded to a plate chiller. Wood wasn't my first choice, but I don't have access to a welder and refuse to pay someone. The sightglasses, pump, qds, and other burner are on the way, other than that, all I have to finish up is the whirlpool and diptube in the boil kettle. Also need to finish hard plumbing for the hlt fill pipe and cfc. I know its a little bit hillbilly looking, but its a huge step up for me. Questions and criticisms are welcome...wnc

forumrunner_20110508_195259.jpg   forumrunner_20110508_195423.jpg  

Old 05-10-2011, 01:44 AM   #1276
Runtgun
Recipes 

Default First time welder

I've been a long time lurker of this forum and I finally registered with HBT. After seeing others build functional and often beautiful brewstands, I decided to take the plunge. I've never welded before, so I watched a few youtube videos and took some advice from older HBT posts. I picked up a mig welder and some stainless tubing. My plan is to control the morebeer low pressure propane burners with auber PID's and honeywell intermittent pilots. For now, I'll do the pumping manually (meaning with pumps, but without electric valves).

I'll post some more pics once I've ground out the welds and mounted the burners.

Thanks to all of you who went before and posted pictures of your rigs - I've taken ideas from lots of people.

photo-5-.jpg   photo-4-.jpg   photo.jpg   photo-2-.jpg  

Old 05-10-2011, 05:52 AM   #1277
ILOVEBEER
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEBEER View Post
It has been months since I started. I added a bunch of things, since the original wet test drive reared several design flaw monsters I went back and welded steel tops and reinforced burner cages/supports. I added a water filter that I had laying around. I am ready to brew. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks to all that have helped me with this project.
Front View
Lid additions to all keggles. MLT loc line for sparge arm through top for heat retention while mashing
New top plates with heat shield to protect heat exchanger wires. The wires are wrapped in silicone hose in the tube
new sparge arm I made to replace original design
Control panel. QD for temp sensor on left side
40 plate heat exchanger. O2 setup with SS QD for easy removal of unit from heat exchanger

New mash paddle I made out of maple
Top view of burner plates. Below the 10" I had to make some reinforcements out of 1/2" x 2 flat stock. On my first test runm the flame was lapping up the keg. I added the 1/8" steel plates with 10" circles plasma cut out of them and fired it up...the steel was melting and I about cried. I added the supports between the original burner cage and the 1/8" steel and welded them up...fired it up and no more melting.

Two 6' sections of silicone 1/2" hose eah with a female SS QD are all I require for fluid transfer. Everything is SS or copper...no brass anywhere except for the two flared end caps. It took me a few months of seperate purchases but I managed to get rid of all brass.

This thing should give me years of trouble free service.

HOLY CRAP....cant believe this post is still going. Took a hiatus, but ready to brew magic gold again....nice rigs everyone has made since Ive been gone

Old 05-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #1278
wncbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runtgun
I've been a long time lurker of this forum and I finally registered with HBT. After seeing others build functional and often beautiful brewstands, I decided to take the plunge. I've never welded before, so I watched a few youtube videos and took some advice from older HBT posts. I picked up a mig welder and some stainless tubing. My plan is to control the morebeer low pressure propane burners with auber PID's and honeywell intermittent pilots. For now, I'll do the pumping manually (meaning with pumps, but without electric valves).

I'll post some more pics once I've ground out the welds and mounted the burners.

Thanks to all of you who went before and posted pictures of your rigs - I've taken ideas from lots of people.
Very well done, especially for a first time welding project. My first welds looked like bird s**t, and still aren't great.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:19 PM   #1279
Hex
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Runtgun, Great start, welcome to HBT! I wish the rest of you lurkers would just man up and jump in, the more the merrier!

Old 05-11-2011, 01:30 PM   #1280
toolboxdiver
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Here is my Space saver gravity system so far still have to build the bottom burner that will stack on this part to be storred away in a 16" X 36" area of the floor. Thanks to all the people on this great forum who gave me the ideas for this.

20110507_11.jpg   20110507_10.jpg  

Quick Reply