Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Portable igloo cooler kegerator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
Dr_Deathweed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Portable igloo cooler kegerator

I know there are several portable kegerator threads out there, but the information was kind of scattered when I tried to find if for my build. For that reason I thought I would write up my build with a parts list and links for anyone who wants to build one of these in the future, as well as some tips and pointers that I discovered along the way. All things considered, this is a very easy project that anyone could do, the only problem is the expense of the parts that it requires.

img00051.jpg

Above are the parts required for this project:
1 - 70qt Igloo cube cooler ~$50 at Gander Mountain
2 - 3 gallon kegs $80-120 depending on site
1 - pinvalve regulator for paintball CO2 tank link $55
1 - 20oz "paintball" CO2 tank link $22
2 - 4 1/2" faucet shanks with 1/4" tail pieces link $18 each
2 - faucets, leftover from when I switched to perlicks, dont remember the price
2 - tap handles link $3 each
10' 3/16" ID tubing ~$3.50 from home depot
5' 1/4" ID braided tubing - left over from another project
1 - 3 way tee link $5
2 gas connects - standard from anywhere
2 liquid connects - standard from anywhere

Tools:
Power drill with 7/8" spade bit
Framing square
Sharpie marker

I am using the 70qt cooler since I want to fit 2 3gallon kegs in here. The 60qt is plenty big enough for a single keg and is about half the price of the 70qt. The only problem is there is a hump in the rear for the wheels that makes the second keg sit slightly higher and with gas/liquid connects it is impossible to close the lid.

I also used 4" shanks, which as you will see are slightly long. You may be able to get away with 2" shanks, but I just used what I had on hand.

img00052.jpg

The first step on the cooler was to measure and drill the holes for the shanks. I went as high on the cooler as possible so that the shanks would slide over the top of the keg in the front, and also so I could put a PVC ring around this at a later date so it will float (project will be documented in the future.) I drilled my holes with a 3/4" spade bit, but this was slightly too small, and my 1" was too large. Instead I just stuck with the 3/4" and slightly enlarged the hole with a dremel tool. The shanks slid right in, and used the nuts to secure.

img00053.jpg

This is a shot showing how both kegs fit inside with the shanks. I could probably get shorter shanks, but these were what I had ordered and i did not feel like going through the return process.

img00054.jpg

Next step is attatching the beer line to the shanks. I went with 5' of 3/16" ID tubing for each tap so that I can coil excess at the bottom of the cooler where it will sit in cold water and help chill while serving. Also 5' should be enough to help eliminate foaming at a serving pressure of 8-10psi.

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Last edited by Dr_Deathweed; 04-06-2010 at 08:54 PM.
HappyLoon Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2010, 08:09 PM   #2
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

img00055.jpg

Put regulator on tank, use braided hose, 3 way tee, and gas connects to complete gas system

img00056.jpg

Stuff everything in the cooler! There is quite a bit of room for ice, and I plan on putting the CO2 tank and regulator in a plastic bag to help keep dry when in use, however this diagrams how everything will fit inside.

img00057.jpg

Finished project with the lid closed! After acruing all the parts, this whole project only took me about an hour to complete. The hardest part was getting the parts, especialy the 3 gallon kegs. I plan on christening this kegerator this weekend and will post "action" shots once I have them.

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Last edited by Dr_Deathweed; 04-06-2010 at 08:44 PM.
People Like This 
Old 04-06-2010, 08:15 PM   #3
PinkyOFloyd
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Man I wish I had a couple 3 gallon kegs 'cause I'd do the same thing. SWEEEEEET!!!!

Old 04-06-2010, 08:15 PM   #4
Teufelhunden
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thats awesome!! Is that a paintball tank? If so, how did you getthe regulator to fit on it?

Old 04-06-2010, 08:21 PM   #5
PinkyOFloyd
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Not the same but similar...
http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=312

Old 04-06-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Still working on the tread, just wanted to get places held before you early responders started chiming in Ill go through and answer questions once I finish adding in all my links and prices and everything.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:01 PM   #7
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

Towers work nice on those coolers, too:

Go to wally world and get a metal bike water bottle holder. Remove the hardware and use some bolts and rubber washers to mount it in a back corner. That will hold the paintball bottle steady.

I can fit a 20lb bag of ice in mine with the kegs and everything else.

Once I have the time, I am adding a "collar" between the bottom and the lid. I thing about 8" will allow me to fit 5 gallon kegs inside.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:02 PM   #8
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelhunden View Post
Thats awesome!! Is that a paintball tank? If so, how did you getthe regulator to fit on it?
The link I posted is for a pinvalve regulator so it will fit directly on the paintball tank. The link PinkyOFloyd posted is for an adaptor so that a regular regulator will fit a paintball tank. If you have an extra regulator you can go the adaptor route, but I was going to have to buy a regulator either way so i just went with the pinvalve. I am considering getting the adaptor and an extra paintball tank for when my 5lb tank runs out on my home kegerator. That way I have a backup incase I run out over the weekend or when I have company (or to drunk to drive to get it refilled)

Old 04-29-2010, 08:05 PM   #9
cl8n
Recipes 

Would a 5 lbs tank inside the igloo cube 70 with the two 3-gallon kegs? It looks like you have extra room where the 20oz paintball tank is located. It would be great if I didn't have to get a new tank and regulator.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:38 PM   #10
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl8n View Post
Would a 5 lbs tank inside the igloo cube 70 with the two 3-gallon kegs? It looks like you have extra room where the 20oz paintball tank is located. It would be great if I didn't have to get a new tank and regulator.
No, I don't think so. It is tight already with 2 kegs and a paintball bottle.

Quick Reply