Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > need help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
RobN
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default need help

i just posted this in the introduction forum as well, but it looks like it may be a better fit here...

Hey everyone, this is my first post here but I've been viewing for quite a while. I need some help...

I finished my kegerator conversion of a chest freezer that i got for $75 on craigslist. got my co2 tank filled and picked up a pony keg last night and had some people over to celebrate, and the beer was cold and flowing well all night.

then i woke up this morning and, of course, everything was too good to be true...

i have no idea what happened. yes, this is my first keg with this hardware, however i've tapped countless kegs in the past and have never run into anything like this before. everything was attached correctly, not sure what could have happened. my only guess is that somehow there was a slow leak where the coupler attaches to the keg and it drained overnight...

can anyone provide me with any tips on what could have happened? cleaning this mess out is the least of my worries. i'm P.O.ed that i wasted so much beer and money. i'd like to pick another one up tonight for football on sunday, but i'm afraid to until i can troubleshoot each piece and figure out where i went wrong.

any of your insight is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 420 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 639

Is there any beer on the top of the keg?.... I mean...where did the beer come from? If there's beer on top of the keg maybe there wasn't a good connection with the sanke coupler. Other than that..... Is it still leaking or did you kill the keg?

Old 10-24-2009, 10:14 PM   #3
RobN
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
Is there any beer on the top of the keg?.... I mean...where did the beer come from? If there's beer on top of the keg maybe there wasn't a good connection with the sanke coupler. Other than that..... Is it still leaking or did you kill the keg?
there was no beer SITTING on top of the keg, but there was leftover residue from streams from the center outward, you can possibly see this in the first picture i posted.

between what we drank last night and siphoning out almost a full 5 gallon bucket, the keg is definitely killed.

my regulator was set at 10 p.s.i. if that makes a difference

Old 10-24-2009, 10:51 PM   #4
kezgin
Recipes 

if you have a spray bottle around, maybe you could gas the keg up and spray it with some soapy water to track down where it's coming from

Quick Reply