My Ghetto Fabulous Electric HERMS Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I got the last of the parts I need for the HERMS setup. I was hoping to brew on it tomorrow, but I'm still getting the parts together and want to run some Oxy Clean Baby through it. Tomorrow I hope to fix the leak in the HLT (leak in the bulkhead fitting, the thermocouple and heating element are water tight.) I need to mount the pump and connect up the silicon tubing. Hope to post updated photos tomorrow of everything. This is where it is right now, but I'm going to whip up a yeast starter and go to bed.

75e25aa667c27a4f81fc2f51fc43e6e7.jpg

It's Alive! I got my leak fixed and got everything together. Here it is running cleaning solution through everything. I still need to finish the stand with a surface on the top and bottom. Right now I just have a scrap piece of MDF with a 2 ½" hole cut in it to accommodate the heating element. I'm getting 3 GPM of flow. Will be brewing on it tomorrow and will take pictures of stuff with a better camera than the one on my iPhone.

b2f5cee55a608d5c6aac0623b41705d9.jpg

and... yes, the siding on my shop is hideous.

Dude, that is tight! Nice to see the beast lives!!! Congrats

Brewed a batch on the new 10 gallon HERMS system today. Special thanks to The Pol for the inspiration and great planning for his system. I still need to finish the stand, for now I just have a scrap piece of MDF sitting on top for a surface. I was unable to run the whole system on the circuit which feeds the outlet on the outside of my shop. I ran an extension cord in to the shop to a different circuit to run the pump today. I will get a higher capacity circuit installed soon. Brewing on a rainy afternoon...

Recirculating sweet wort:
1446028470d58752086440fdb55d2ba0.jpg

At mash-out:
22f5d6f730c7582ac8621b292330e710.jpg

Fly sparging, & keeping an eye on level to make sure I had matched the in & out flow:
22db39d0f0a230c718d983d4cb75d7d2.jpg

I had some issues priming the pump when I switched the pump input from the MLT to the HLT. I plan to change the pump orientation to do it the way The Pol has his.

Cheers!

That is awesome, I am so glad that it worked out for you

I had some issues priming the pump when I switched the pump input from the MLT to the HLT. I plan to change the pump orientation to do it the way The Pol has his.

Cheers!

Nice. Let us know if changing the pump orientation makes a difference. I know the pol had also changed his tubing so I'm curious if this makes a difference. My pump should be in in the next week or so.

Nice. Let us know if changing the pump orientation makes a difference. I know the pol had also changed his tubing so I'm curious if this makes a difference. My pump should be in in the next week or so.

I'll update here. I started with 1/2" ID silicone tubing. Once the pump is primed well, it flows great. It's when I get an air pocket in the tubing that the pump has a hard time. I think if it was mounted with the flow horizontally it would allow some liquid to the pump impeller and provide enough pump head for it to prime and flow.

I was kind of wishing I had little bleeder valves at various locations in the system to purge air.

I'm working on a clone of The Pols system too. Basically got the same stuff, but have 240 volt heaters and a LG pump. Bought the same stir motor and parts, but went with 125 RPM. Which brings me to my question. How are you mounting the stir motor to the lid? Is the paddle interfering with the HEX? Since my RTD sensor is mounted in the sight gauge fitting, I thought of putting the shaft for the prop right in the center of the lid - if it doesn't hit the element. Anyway - I'm a little worried about the shaft having too much "wiggle room" and the prop thrashing wildly from side to side.................:(

I mounted the stir motor off center. I cut the 2nd layer of plastic on the bottom of the lid away, and drilled holes for each of the mounting screws, and a hole for the shaft of the stirrer. The stirrer did hit the HEX coil after mounting it, so I cut a few inches off of the end of the stir paddle. I'll try to take a picture of it tonight if it helps.

Thanks, and the picture will help a lot. The paddle looks like it would oscillate at the end of that long shaft?

I did PM you about that, but you didn't send it. I put my email address in the PM if you still have it... I didn't want to bug you about it until I'm ready to run a batch in it. If you could email it though, that would be sweet :).

Hey diatonic, I was just wondering if you could possibly send me a copy of Pol's HERMS software? I'm having trouble contacting Pol and he doesn't accept PMs. I'm trying to build a similar setup for myself and I'm just about finished. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My email is [email protected].
Cheers,
Frank

i know the thread is a little old, but where did you get your quick disconnects?

I picked up all the quick disconnects at a local shop, though I think McMaster has them in the same style. I ended up replacing the males with stainless when I built my new rig. More Beer has the stainless ones.

I still have the stirrer and motor that I don't use any longer, and could probably be talked in to shipping to you if you cover the shipping :mug:

Back