My DIY projects. Yours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kh54s10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am sure I am no where near the biggest DIYer but here are mine:

1) Stirplate - Cigar box, fan and hard drive magnets from an old computer, potentiometer from Radio Shack and power supply from an old answering machine. misc parts - total $7.40

2) HLT - 10 gallons stainless pot off craigslist for $50. Added a bronze valve kit from Northern Brewer and thermometer/sightglass from BrewHardware.

3) MLT - 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler from Home Depot with hot water heater supply line braid also from HD, bronze cooler valve kit from HD.

4) BK - 10 gallon stainless pot $50 from craigslist buy with the other one. Bronze valve kit from NB

5) Wooden 3 tier brew sculpture - culled 2x4's from HD, plywood on hand, paint - close out $5/gallon.

6) Swamp Cooler - huge storage box from HD - retired.

7) Fermentation chamber - Plywood on hand culled 2x4's from HD. pink insulation foam, butyl tarp to cover the foam, spray glued on. Minifridge from Wally World. Johnson a419 temperature controller. Holds 3 fermenters.

8) utility sink on porch with water system/filter to hlt, water comes from my back yard spigot, using a RV water hose.

9) immersion chiller - two 20' copper coils, I can put them both in the BK or one in an ice bucket.

10) Corona mill grinding setup attached to my workbench.

11) 3 tap kegerator in my basement refrigerator.

Saved tons of $$

This is a great hobby.

What is your list. (you don't have to go into detail)

:mug::mug::mug::mug::mug::mug::mug::mug::mug::mug::mug::mug::mug:

I wired up 2 stc-1000s one is for fermenting/laggering and the other is for my future keezer.

With that in mind:
Build collar for fermentation freezer
acquire my freezer to convert it into a keezer
install thermometer and valve to my boiling keg
Buy/install new burner so I can brew more than 1 beer at a time.
Get a cylinder water jug and turn it into a mash tun
Brew beer

I know my list isn't huge but that's a lot of time invested in accomplishing my list

I built a MLT by wrapping a keggle with water heater insulation and then wrap that with aluminum sheet metal. I'm able to direct fire my mash now and the insulation works even at 30degrees. Sure I add heat when required but been awesome. In photo below (middle)

IMG_2534[1].jpg

I am sure I am no where near the biggest DIYer but here are mine....

Saved tons of $$

This is a great hobby.

What is your list. (you don't have to go into detail)

My wife would laugh her a$$ off with save saved lots of money statement...:p

Me, all I've been doing is working out the brew stand I started a few months ago, with a lot the components I got from this site.

So far,

Brew stand made from 2x4, plywood, and a bunch of other things laying around. Installed electric for the chigger pump too, and I was thinking about add a water filtration with piping to HLT but the water here is actually pretty good so might be over kill.

Currently building flysparge device to put over my lowes cooler/mash tun.

Converting an old freezer into a fermentation cooler. Gotta build a collar as I'm fermenting bigger batches via speidel fermenter.

There's probably more that I'm forgetting right now. How about pictures?

image.jpg

So far I have only made a stir plate. I used an $8 pc fan with speed controller, a random 12v power supply I had laying around, some magnets I had laying around, and used a tupperware container for the casing. So it cost me $8 and it works great!

Next on my list is a fermentation chamber. I have an old 2.4 cu ft fridge I want to use but I don't know if the compressor is up to the task. I will find out soon!

Also, I am planning on making a copper immersion chiller.

I have always loved DIY and I love that there is so much DIY that goes along with brewing!

Just built this yesterday...have already brewed 2 batches with it. It's the 23 tip wok burner capped off to only 10 tips. Surprisingly controllable.

WP_20140412_001.jpg

WP_20140412_005.jpg

favorite quote "I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."

wired my shed $175, without going to the hospital $priceless

Ok I'll add mine. (I agree on the comment that the OP made the best ever bump!)

Not all in order:

1. Hard foam insulation collar for a portable freezer/fridge that served as my first ferm chamber and still does backup duty for double batches or overlapping brews

2. 4 tap keezer with space for 7 kegs if I'd stop filling it with bottles and if I could brew more often

3. Converted wine cooler into a ferm chamber with dual stage controller and lizard heating wrap for heat

4. Hand pump line cleaner

5. Pond pump line cleaner

6. Keg and carboy washer

7. Charcoal (10" whole house) water filter setup

8. Site glass on my boil kettle

9. Insulated, dry walled and painted the back wall of my garage and then hung new cabinets and LED can lights so I could hang the pint glass display case that SWMBO gave me for Christmas. Yeah that's the reason why I needed to do all of that and I'm sticking to it.

10. Hop drier

11. 10 gallon igloo MLT conversion

Here's a few pics I could find:
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397532519.683551.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397532965.093119.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397532552.479036.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397533357.296024.jpg

I've realized I don't have nearly as many pics of my projects completed as I do in progress shots...

And yes I love the building/DIY aspect of this hobby as much as I do the brewing and enjoying of said brew :cheers:

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397532883.228123.jpg
    ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397532883.228123.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 319
Back