Keggle cutting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matc

Reaction score
I used a grinder to cut my keggle but after a year of brewing, i'm getting tired of that annoying lip when cleaning the keg. How can I get a result like that :

image.jpg

You can hold the grinder inside the keg and have the cutoff wheel facing up to cut from the bottom. That gives you the angle you need. You would want to make the cut about 1/4" away from the outside wall all the way around and then switch to a grinding wheel to grind it flat.

Never thought about the grinder from the inside ! I might try this but what concerns me is the lack of visibility when working on the inside.

What about plasma cutters ? Wondering if a metal shop could do it and more importantly, without damaging my precious keg !

Use a tiger disc flap wheel on the inside. Plasma cutting leaves a lot of slag on the inside. Make sure and use a new disc that's only been used on stainless.

image-3041731293.jpg

This is a tiger disc. I use it after cutting lid with a cutting disc and then ran my hand around the inside lip and outside to make sure it's smooth.

Okay so that tiger flap is used for sanding after i cut the metal ?

Yes, but think of it more as a grinding disc as it will take metal off. So, you don't want to gouge too deep. If your just looking to get a smooth edge, lightly use it. Works great. I use it on mine.

Yes i know it's much much more agressive than a sandpaper ! I've already made that mistake in the past!

Like bobby said, flip the grinder upside down to get the inside. Then, rub your hand around the edge (don't cut yourself!) and repeat until smooth. Make sure and hit with bkf or some other agent to repassivate the stainless. Hope this helps! Good luck and remember, use a soft touch so you don't take too much metal off.

Just remember that it will be harder to use a lid if you don't leave any lip... Cutting metal off is much easier than putting it back on...

Oh hell yes, this operation is not particularly safe at all. I'd still hold it with both hands. Visibility is zero until you get the disc to pop through for the first time. Oh, and sparks will be shooting up towards you also. Wear a full face shield ($7 at Harbor Freight).

It appears that Domantori is commenting on how you COULD fix your "cutting my arm up" problem without cutting the keg like the picture you posted. True, if cutting your arm up is the problem, smoothing the cut edge is definitely a solution that doesn't require opening the hole larger. However, if you want to do it anyway, go for it.

Using a flap disc to grind down 1/4" ring around the keg will work, but a regular grinding disc will chew through the metal much faster, and the sharp edge might end up tearing up the flapper quicker. I'd use the flap disc to finish it up. This is how they did it at the metal fab shop I used to work at, mainly because the flappers are more expensive.

on the plasma cutter side if you have them fill it with water before they cut it cleanup isnt very hard at all the water keeps the slag from sticking to the keg. you'll still have to use the flapper to clean it up afterwards unless you pay the extra to have them finish clean it for you.

Bobby_M said:
Oh hell yes, this operation is not particularly safe at all. I'd still hold it with both hands. Visibility is zero until you get the disc to pop through for the first time. Oh, and sparks will be shooting up towards you also. Wear a full face shield ($7 at Harbor Freight). It appears that Domantori is commenting on how you COULD fix your "cutting my arm up" problem without cutting the keg like the picture you posted. True, if cutting your arm up is the problem, smoothing the cut edge is definitely a solution that doesn't require opening the hole larger. However, if you want to do it anyway, go for it.

I must have misunderstood. I was under the impression he was just wanting to clean up the rough edges? Incorrect?

domantori, I want to increase the size of my hole. The pic I posted I what I'd like to have as a result ! Except that mine will be smoother thanks to your tip

matc said:
domantori, I want to increase the size of my hole. The pic I posted I what I'd like to have as a result ! Except that mine will be smoother thanks to your tip

Gotcha!

Well, another project done with your help guys, thanks a lot ! Not perfect by any means but smooth enough to avoid any cuts. Took a lot of time though, about 2 hours. Ss is quite a pain to work with

image.jpg

matc said:
Well, another project done with your help guys, thanks a lot ! Not perfect by any means but smooth enough to avoid any cuts. Took a lot of time though, about 2 hours. Ss is quite a pain to work with

Nice work!

I can now fully empty my keg when rinsing it upside down wohoo !

Here's one I "cut", when making a multi-purpose kettle..........That's if I can figure out picture posting!

First, I cut off the top ring, then made my "keggle" opening.

I saved the "lid", and cut a ring out of stainless steel, which I "tipped" on an English wheel, so that it would match the "dome" of the keg top.
Then I riveted it on with solid rivets, (made of Monel ).
Welded a cap on the outside and inside of the openings in the lid.

Next I bent up some handles from some 3/8 stainless round stock, slipped on some old car valve springs, and flattened the ends so that I could rivet them to the keggle.
Installed an extra at the bottom to help with the pour.

I LOVE this site, as it is a wealth of info!

Hey nice write up, never new I have a "Ford" wrench as well from my dad, in addition to many other things, I use mine to straighten the mower deck on the garden tractor when I bash a tree and the blades are making a bang bang noise...perfect tool!

Back