Keggerator Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyGus

Reaction score
I have a freezer top, fridge bottom keggerator that I've been using in my outside bar for many years. My question is: Has anyone ever cut the bottom of the freezer floor open to make the fridge unit as a whole a little more efficient and even in temperature? (like a keezer)
I want to do this. My observations is that the fridge works extra hard to cool the freezer when I really only care about the bottom part keeping proper temps. So I figure if I cut a few decent sized holes in the seperation between fridge freezer then the coldness from the freezer will sink down to the fridge part and help cool my brew faster and more evenly.
Anyone do this? Have comments?

This really depends on your exact fridge model and if there is a cooling plate there. Are there separate thermostats for fridge and freezer? If so cutting a hole will make the freezer half continue to run until it reaches its temperature in the whole unit, potentially freezing a keg. This can be fixed by installing an after market thermostat (Ranco, Johnson etc.) but defrosting may become an issue. Hopefully this will at least give you some things to look at before you cut.

I believe the cooling plate is in the back only. I am comtrolling the temp with my Johnson hahahaha
I think I'm just gonna go for it. I really don't have much to loose. I'll just cut slowly layer by layer to make sure there isn't anything in between that shouldn't be cut.

I've done it. Older model 1970's avocado green westinghouse. Nothing much to worry about, there were wires running from the back to the little door closed switch in the front though. I didn't cut, just popped the plastic off the inside of the fridge and freezer and punched through the insulation.

Back