idea for DIY conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcinpdx

Reaction score
I am sure I am not the first person to think of this, but I wanted to run this idea by a few folks before pursuing it, especially since I am pretty new to brewing. Would it be possible and or efficient (esp from a financial standpoint) to cut the bottom out of a sanke and weld on a conical hopper? This would give you approx 18 or more gallon capacity for fermenting. It should be pretty easy to build a stand for it.

Thoughts?

yea I've looked into that. I would say dont. run all the numbers and get a real idea of all the stainless steel parts that you will end up using. it will get damn near close to the $500 you can spend getting a new/used one. plus buying one you dont have to worry about the quality of the welds.

its tempting to think about it -- but you really dont need the hardware. buy a ton of carboys and a cheep power washer and you'd probly be better off than one easy to clean fermenter.

Back