i know this topic has been covered ad nauseam but i put together a few different ideas i found and wanted to share, particularly about a replacement for the silicone o-rings. i had heard some suggestions about using silicone bakeware and tried it out. it works like a charm, didn't leak a drop in the test. this MLT is made from a 48 qt igloo, not the cold max but the cheaper version. the last two modifications i'll make are adding some sprayable expanding insulation to the lid as it seems hollow and putting in a thermometer above the bulkhead.
i know this pic sucks but i wanted to show a close up of the silicone washer i cut out.
and what i made the washer out of, like 4 or 5 bucks at wally.
Cutting a gasket out of silicon cookware is such a great and simple idea; I'm jealous I didn't think of it myself.
Yesterday I fixed the bulk-head on my perpetually weeping Lauter Tun by cutting a gasket from a silicon baking dish. The dish was only 8 bucks and I can probably get 30 similarly sized gaskets out of it.