HERMs coil question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsieling

Reaction score
I love mine, great quality and service. Can't help on the size, but the 1/2"OD 50' 12" coil fits my keg perfect. The two bends on the end are a must. I'd go with the 14" if it will fit the pot, then you don't need as much water in your HLT.

I just ordered mine from StainlessBrewing. I have a 15g Blichmann G1.(Kettle diameter is 15.7 according to Blichmann) I went with a 1/2" 10" diameter coil as suggested by Zach. Once you factor in the compression fittings (~1.5") and the Herms in and herms out bends (~2-2.5") it should be a pretty good fit.

That 30 gallon has a diameter of 19.7, so I don't see why you couldn't go with the largest diameter StainlessBrewing offers (14" Diameter).

I have that stainless coil as well. Went with the 1/2" 25ft coil and it works great inside my converted keg.

Hi Home brew community, I'm a long time reader 1st or second time writer. I'm looking for recommendation for a HERMS coil

http://stainlessbrewing.3dcartstores.com/Coiled-to-customers-request-035-304304L-Coiled-Tubing_p_30.html

This is the one I was thinking of going with, I just wasn't sure which size and length and Diameter of the coil to go with. My HLT is a 30 Gallon G1 Blichman which i am converting to an all electric setup.

I bought one from them. I have a 25g Concord pot. My coil was 1/2" with a 50' coil. 14" diameter for the actual coiling process. Fits well. The Blichmann 30g pots are extremely close in diameter to my pots. I know this because I use a Blichmann 30g false bottom in my mash tun, and it fits almost perfectly. Concord pots are somewhat fatter and shorter than Blichmann pots, apparently.

So yeah, I'd order a 50' 1/2" coil with a 14" diameter coiling with bent ends.

For a closer fit with a larger diameter coil you can use compression fitting elbows with no bends in the coil.

I have 1 question though, with caliper rulers I measured the Compression fitting (20.6mm or 0.811 inched).
With having to cut a wholes in my brew kettle I was going to use a knockout would you go with 3/4 or 7/8, by my calculations it should be in between the 2, but no such knock out exists.

I am assuming 7/8 one.

13/16" Greenlee radio punch is what you are looking for... Makes perfect holes for anything weld less you want to install on your kettle.

To save a few bucks on a radio punch look into Q Max punches. I think I paid 20 shipped for mine from the UK through Amazon.

13/16" Greenlee radio punch is what you are looking for... Makes perfect holes for anything weld less you want to install on your kettle.

+1, 13/16 will give you a pretty tight fit on male 1/2" NPT fittings. I used a 7/8" hole (step bit) before I got my 13/16" punch and it'll work too. It'll have more play than a 13/16" punch, but it still works for weldless bulkheads.

Or the 20.5mm from Q.Max If I'm not mistaken. 1mm tighter than the 13/16" so you actually have to screw stuff into place. It's cheaper than the Greenlee. Unless you're gonna punch tonnes of holes I'd go with this for the sake of the wallet.
le
But in terms of the topic. I've tried three HERMS-setups and landed on a compact herms. It's a question about available power. I had a 50ft coil in my HLT with 4.5kW of heating and the response time can't even compare to my compact herms which is 1.8L fired with 3kW.

Back