HD for HLT, ELD for BK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j_jones84

Reaction score
Any reason NOT to use HD in the HLT? It is half the price for a 5500w HD. All I can think of is I heard you could dry fire an ELD. That worth $15 to most? I am getting ELD for the BK, was just thinking about saving $ for the HLT.

Any reason NOT to use HD in the HLT? It is half the price for a 5500w HD. All I can think of is I heard you could dry fire an ELD. That worth $15 to most? I am getting ELD for the BK, was just thinking about saving $ for the HLT.

That would be worth it to me, and that's what I'm buying for both my BK and HLT. What's $15 when it comes to not having to replace the element every time you forget to turn it off while draining the tun? Cheap insurance in my book.

twocents1237073290.gif

TB

How long can a big HD element run dry? How long can an ELD element run dry?

I had two ULD 1,500 watt that alternated off 120 volt buried in sand with a piazza stone on top in the Iguana cage. This worked for over 7 years without any elements burning out.

Back