Has anyone used this Temp Controller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is hard to tell but looking at the picture it seems to have only one relay. If this is true then it is only a single stage controller. In the question section someone asks if it is two-stage but the answers are conflicting.

Amazon has a great return policy so you could get it and look to see if it is indeed two-stage. If not, return it.

It's not the cost difference I'm really worried about. I like the Fahrenheit on the one I linked and I am just wondering if there is a reason to avoid it from people's experience. I don't want a crappy unit just because it reads in Fahrenheit but if people have had good experiences with it then I would prefer it over Celsius for the extra $5.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is hard to tell but looking at the picture it seems to have only one relay. If this is true then it is only a single stage controller. In the question section someone asks if it is two-stage but the answers are conflicting.

Amazon has a great return policy so you could get it and look to see if it is indeed two-stage. If not, return it.

Yes it is a two stage controller. I use it to control my fridge and a heat wrap for my fermentation box. Works great!

Neil M. answered on November 24, 2013

I believe it is only one stage. There are settings for cooling or heating, but I don't know why. I am using it to regulate an egg incubator and it works very well.

Sean McDermott answered on November 26, 2013

Neil M. do you frequent HBT? :p

I am inclined to believe a Homebrewer versus the Egg warmer guy. I might have to pull the trigger and deliver HBT the answer. :)

They have the same ones on eBay, I say that because i am in the market for another one. I have the celsius one and it's worked great. But also I am thinking on getting the Fahrenheit one. If the only deference is the F instead of C, then I don't think there would be a problem with them.

What is the amp rating of the relay contacts?

Can your directly control a power device or need to use an SSR or contactor with the controller?

What is the amp rating of the relay contacts?

Can your directly control a power device or need to use an SSR or contactor with the controller?

Hope you are not asking me that. LOL!

I am trying to find out if anyone here on HBT has experience with this controller...

If it's the one from Homebrewfinds earlier, I believe it said it was from China. Take that for what it's worth. To me, I'd be a bit wary. But that's just me.

If it's the one from Homebrewfinds earlier, I believe it said it was from China. Take that for what it's worth. To me, I'd be a bit wary. But that's just me.

Of course it's from China... isn't everything?

I was going to buy an STC-1000 and while shopping stumbled upon this. It reads in Fahrenheit. For $19.00 + $4.50 shipping I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with it or should I just go with the STC-1000 instead?

http://www.amazon.com/110~120V-Digital-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat/dp/B00C4TMSWI/ref=pd_sbs_indust_5

That's a single stage unit, and will control either heating or cooling, but not both at the same time. I have 3 of them and they're great for when you only need single stage control. For my ferm chamber where I need dual stage, I use an STC-1000. Since the STC-1000 costs less than the single stage unit these days, and has more functionality, that's probably the direction I'd take. :shrug:

That's a single stage unit, and will control either heating or cooling, but not both at the same time. I have 3 of them and they're great for when you only need single stage control. For my ferm chamber where I need dual stage, I use an STC-1000. Since the STC-1000 costs less than the single stage unit these days, and has more functionality, that's probably the direction I'd take. :shrug:

Thank you Juan!

That's the answer I was looking for. :rockin:

To confirm, the WH7016 (I see it's now up to revision F) is a single stage controller. And, yes, it's from China - just like the STC-1K and every other device that looks like them.

It's been used by at least a few folks that asked for help with the wiring over the last couple of years.
If you have an intractable need for Fahrenheit, there are only a few options, this being one for single-stage use, and the (pricey) Love TSS2 for dual stage...

Cheers!

I've been using the same model, omit in celcius. The performance should be the same. I have haven't had any problems at all with mine. I have 2 of them... One on my keezer and one in my fermentation chamber.

Found that one on e-bay a while ago for less than $13 with free shipping from "sureelectronics". Just did a quick search and they are still pretty cheap certainly less than amazon. Works great, no complaints so far.

I was going to buy an STC-1000 and while shopping stumbled upon this. It reads in Fahrenheit. For $19.00 + $4.50 shipping I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with it or should I just go with the STC-1000 instead?

http://www.amazon.com/110~120V-Digital-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat/dp/B00C4TMSWI/ref=pd_sbs_indust_5

It depends on how you're planning to use it. I was looking at this one too and I'm actually the person who asked the question on Amazon whether it's dual stage or not. I got four responses. Two said it is and two said it's not but one of the people who said it's dual is a homebrewer so maybe he knows what he is talking about.

Back