Got everything together and finally found some time so am actually working on it today. So far I have the base built and it up on wheels...
First off, like I said in the original post I'm tool challenged. I like to futz around and DIY when I have the time but I'll honestly admit I am not very good at it. Most of it is due to living in apartments my whole life and never having the room to do any decent sized projects. Well now that has changed. I own a house and I own power tools... muahahahaha.
The way I see it it is all about work experience. It is how I've pretty much lived my entire life. From the time I dropped out of high school to now I have learned everything on the fly so why do it any different now?
So the base... I drew it all out and planned to use joiners to make a squared up base but that went horribly wrong. First it was so very not squared up. I mean sure all four pieces went together but that last one took a lot of hammering and stomping on to get it to line up and even then it looked terrible.
Honestly though it would've worked and how it looked wouldn't have mattered because it was under the keezer but that was a moot point because I hadn't taken into account the space the side pieces would displace when cutting the cross pieces so the thing was a good foot too wide, lol. I really should've taken pictures but I didn't want to confuse any would be keezer builders if they happened apon this thread... well that is my excuse anyway.
Funny thing about that is after taking it all apart and deciding just to go with an over-under frame like I ended up doing I couldn't reuse the crossbars because on top of forgetting to account for the offset I also mismeasured them, bah!
I didn't bother to include some other Stooges worth antics that blew a couple hours but I think you got the point. The way I see it though as long as I'm having fun and learning something it's worth it. And boy was I having fun... I love laughing at stupid stuff, even if it is me doing it. Besides it isn't about the destination it is about the journey, right?
Once I decided to go a different route things got much easier. I salvaged my original front and back pieces and mounted the casters on them. So on to the actual base...
It is two 2"x6"x37" boards and three crossbars... they can be pretty much anything as long as they aren't too thick. Each one should be 20.5" long... I went with three but two would've been enough really. I bought a set of casters intended for some modular shelving Home Depot sells. 4 4" heavy duty swivel casters, 2 of them with locks, for less than 20 bucks. Add to that a 3/8" bolt kit and you got yourself some wheels.
I drilled a 1" (same as the shank holes will be) hole halfway through the 2x6s at either end, roughly 2.5" in from the ends. Then drill the rest of the way through (using the pilot hole the 1" left) using a 3/8" bit. Clean out the holes, drop in a washer from the bolt kit then push the casters in from the other side. Once the post is through drop a lock washer on then a nut and tighten everything down. It will seem to never tighten all the way but that is because the swivel is turning... at that point it should be tight enough though.
Once the two 2x6s are done you just need to put the crossbars on. I drilled pilot holes then screwed them down but nails or a nail gun or whatever would work. Just make sure it is square. If you do one on each side you'll have some wiggle room if you aren't squared up. Once you get two to a side in though you are pretty much stuck with it.
And we have a little cart, woho. I emptied out the freezer and moved it up onto the base then filled it back up again. Not very pretty but it will probably get some trim added to it before everything is said and done.
The other added benefit of the wheeled base is it adds another 6 inches or so to the height. That plus the ten inch collar will mean no bending over to pour a pint.