Etching the inside of a brew kettle.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnitzengiggle

Reaction score
I am interested in etching graduated volume markings inside of my SS brew kettle, similar to etched glass.

I thought it would be a neat project if it could be DIY, however, form what I have read on the internet, SS is a difficult material to etch.

Does anyone know of a procedure or place where this can be done?

Would glass etching acid work?

Sandblasting?

Problem with ething or engraving the inside of the kettle is that it's is near impossible to see once the wort is actively boiling and evaporated moisture is filling the void.

I have a hard enough time seeing in there to know if a boil over is coming or not.

I've actually made marking on my mash paddle to measure the volume in my brew kettle. I just turn down the heat for a second to calm the boil, dip it in, and take the reading.

You'd think the people who make these kettles would have thought of adding volume marks.

I've actually made marking on my mash paddle to measure the volume in my brew kettle. I just turn down the heat for a second to calm the boil, dip it in, and take the reading.

You'd think the people who make these kettles would have thought of adding volume marks.

I think Blichmann has marks in their kettles.

well half way is 7.5g, and the top lip is 15, eyeballing it is all I do and its works great for me

I have a piece of 3/4" copper pipe that I have graduated for my BK, it works, but I thought that this would be a neat DIY project if there wasn't toom uch effort involved in it. Such as etching a glass carboy with etching acid, you can get that stuff at almost any craft store. If it were that simple, or a company makes a product for SS it would be fun and easy.

well half way is 7.5g, and the top lip is 15, eyeballing it is all I do and its works great for me

It isn't so much that I need the graduation marks; I thought it would be a fun way to customize a BK, kind of like putting those chrome spinning hubcaps on your car.:D

I was thinking about this as well and I think you'll definitely have an easier time finding a set of numbered stamps and hammering some delineations into the side than chemically etching it.

I was thinking about this as well and I think you'll definitely have an easier time finding a set of numbered stamps and hammering some delineations into the side than chemically etching it.

Agreed, apparently there are some pretty volatile chemicals/acids required to chemically etch SS.

Latest posts

Back