*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > EBay fish tank controller build using Wal-mart parts
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2013, 02:50 AM   #251
Cposten
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 181
Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

No real input here. Just a thanks to OP and everybody else. Have my stc up and running and it feels gooooooood. Thanks again

__________________
Cposten is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2013, 04:01 AM   #252
hyperboarder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Meridian, Idaho
Posts: 140
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Been running one of these for about a year now in my chest freezer fermentation chamber. Working like a charm, thanks for the inspiration OP.

__________________
hyperboarder is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #253
mccabedoug
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Douglas, MA
Posts: 164
Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Default

I rigged one of these up this weekend. This thread and this:

really helped.

It was interesting that in order to program the heat setting, the STC-1000 had to be in heat mode. I had to stick the temp sensor in my fridge.

I've been brewing for 9+ years and I finally have a fermentation chamber (courtesy of the STC-1000 and a $25 Craigslist chest freezer).
__________________
mccabedoug is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #254
PricePeeler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
PricePeeler's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 63
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccabedoug
I rigged one of these up this weekend. This thread and this: Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I-iwFLykxs really helped.

It was interesting that in order to program the heat setting, the STC-1000 had to be in heat mode. I had to stick the temp sensor in my fridge.

I've been brewing for 9+ years and I finally have a fermentation chamber (courtesy of the STC-1000 and a $25 Craigslist chest freezer).
I'm not sure I understand. "in order to program the heat setting"
You should be setting desired temp and then setting the temp differential and compressor delay.
It sends power to heat or cool based on temp differential from your set temperature.

If you haven't, I would set the probe in a jar of water to keep the temp more consistent. Be sure to set the jar in for a couple of days before placing probe in so the water has time to adjust to ambient temperature.
I also have one of the wireless outdoor temp probes as a secondary way of double checking the temp. You can keep the digital reader on top of fridge or wherever.

I am happy to hear you finally have your one chamber. They are awesome.
__________________

Tap 1: Golden Belgium Strong Ale
Tap 2: Citrus Peel Wheat
Tap 3: IPA
Tap 4: Ameri-Wheat

PricePeeler is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #255
mccabedoug
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Douglas, MA
Posts: 164
Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePeeler View Post
I'm not sure I understand. "in order to program the heat setting"
You should be setting desired temp and then setting the temp differential and compressor delay.
It sends power to heat or cool based on temp differential from your set temperature.

If you haven't, I would set the probe in a jar of water to keep the temp more consistent. Be sure to set the jar in for a couple of days before placing probe in so the water has time to adjust to ambient temperature.
I also have one of the wireless outdoor temp probes as a secondary way of double checking the temp. You can keep the digital reader on top of fridge or wherever.

I am happy to hear you finally have your one chamber. They are awesome.
Sorry for the confusion. My comment was around programming the STC-1000, not using it.

Programming the cool function temp setting, compressor delay and differential was easy by following the written instructions and suggested settings from this thread. The problem I faced was how to access the heat programming option. I wasn't given the heat function/setting as a programming option. How did/do you access the heat programming setting? My workaround was fooling the STC-1000 into thinking it was heating something and then I could access the heat option. Perhaps I overlooked something during the programming steps, but that worked for me.

I'm not using the chest freezer yet. It's kinda beat up so I am going to sand off the rust; prime those spots; and then paint the front, tops and sides with chalkboard paint (wife's idea).
__________________
mccabedoug is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #256
CGVT
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CGVT's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Spanish Fort, AL
Posts: 1,580
Liked 375 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Default

I just set the desired temp. If it got too warm the power to the compressor kicks on. If it gets too cold the power to the heat source kicks on. There is no separate heat program that I know of

__________________

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keez...y-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.
CGVT is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 04:49 PM   #257
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Misplaced_Canuck's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
Posts: 2,753
Liked 132 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccabedoug View Post
My workaround was fooling the STC-1000 into thinking it was heating something and then I could access the heat option. Perhaps I overlooked something during the programming steps, but that worked for me.
There isn't really a "heat" or "cool" set of functions. You simply set the wanted temperature, say 15C, the differential allowed (+/- 1C e.g.), and the compressor delay. If it needs cooling, the cool side will turn on, and likewise, if it needs heating, the hot side will turn on.

Assuming a 15C set point, and a differential of 1C, the cool side would turn on at 16C, after having waited at least X minutes based on the compressor delay.

Assuming the same set point + differential, the heat would turn on at 14C, with no compressor delay.

MC
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck
Carbonic bite? Is that like the bubonic plague?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.
Misplaced_Canuck is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #258
mccabedoug
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Douglas, MA
Posts: 164
Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck View Post
There isn't really a "heat" or "cool" set of functions. You simply set the wanted temperature, say 15C, the differential allowed (+/- 1C e.g.), and the compressor delay. If it needs cooling, the cool side will turn on, and likewise, if it needs heating, the hot side will turn on.

Assuming a 15C set point, and a differential of 1C, the cool side would turn on at 16C, after having waited at least X minutes based on the compressor delay.

Assuming the same set point + differential, the heat would turn on at 14C, with no compressor delay.

MC
Well, that makes sense now that I think about it. Thanks for the clarification!!
__________________
mccabedoug is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #259
PricePeeler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
PricePeeler's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 63
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Thank you Misplaced for elaborating.
I guess we could say that the temperature differential is the heat and cool side setting. You only set it once and the temperature range is based on set temp and amount of differential.
Maybe that was the root of question.

__________________

Tap 1: Golden Belgium Strong Ale
Tap 2: Citrus Peel Wheat
Tap 3: IPA
Tap 4: Ameri-Wheat

PricePeeler is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #260
mccabedoug
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Douglas, MA
Posts: 164
Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePeeler View Post
Thank you Misplaced for elaborating.
I guess we could say that the temperature differential is the heat and cool side setting. You only set it once and the temperature range is based on set temp and amount of differential.
Maybe that was the root of question.
I think that the root of the question was me having a brain cramp.....

Thanks again, guys.
__________________
mccabedoug is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ebay aquarium temp controller build android DIY Projects 4102 09-20-2014 08:26 PM
Plastic-Mart $135 15 Gallon Conical Tank & Stand rkulp89 DIY Projects 17 02-11-2012 10:22 AM
Cheap temp controller on eBay Bartp DIY Projects 1 02-01-2011 12:54 PM
Control 12V w/ Ebay Aquarium Controller? autobaun70 DIY Projects 5 01-27-2011 02:23 PM
Anyone use this temp controller off ebay? Mongo64 DIY Projects 27 05-07-2010 08:58 PM