Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #2951
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 33

This appears to be a single stage that will do either heat or cool but you would have to tell it to switch to either mode you need. The STC-1000 automatically switches whatever it needs--heat or cold, but does not have them both run at the same time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 11:35 PM   #2952
djbradle
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Correct. I already have a single stage for one freezer coming. This one would help to heat and cool my wine cooler fermenter so I would need two stc-1000's anyways. In this case it's less work for a little more money. Got many projects to do anyways this late summer and early fall . . . . building a walk in closet for my wife soon.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:07 AM   #2953
davidgsmit
Smithaus Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Relay not working

Does anybody else have one of these where the relay won't switch unless you physically tap the unit? It's working except for the fact that a have to knock it/tap it to get the relay to switch. If I don't, it will only turn off, but not on again.

Unfortunately I bought mine over 90 days ago so I can't return it. What a pain...

Old 08-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #2954
djbradle
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

No fret. You can always make the set screw adjustment on the old thermostat if the controller isn't so faithful.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #2955
Kingfish
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgsmit View Post
Does anybody else have one of these where the relay won't switch unless you physically tap the unit? It's working except for the fact that a have to knock it/tap it to get the relay to switch. If I don't, it will only turn off, but not on again.

Unfortunately I bought mine over 90 days ago so I can't return it. What a pain...
If you are at all handy with a soldering iron you can replace the relay yourself.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #2956
davidgsmit
Smithaus Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Was wondering about that... Any idea which one i would need? My electrical knowledge could be better...

Funny thing is that both relays have the problem. Almost wonder if they're some how not getting enough electricity from th circuit board.

Thanks.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #2957
cosmatics
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I'm with you davidgsmit, the relays on my stc-1000 never turn off. I'll try smacking them and see if that helps. It appears to turn them on correctly, but when it switches cold/hot both the old side stays on. Pretty annoying, and I hope I just got one of the bad ones. So now I'm just manually unplugging this stupid thing on/off.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #2958
Kingfish
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmatics View Post
...the relays on my stc-1000 never turn off.
Did it ever work?

Old 08-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #2959
cwi
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Was wondering about that... Any idea which one i would need? My electrical knowledge could be better...

Funny thing is that both relays have the problem. Almost wonder if they're some how not getting enough electricity from th circuit board.

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmatics View Post
I'm with you davidgsmit, the relays on my stc-1000 never turn off. I'll try smacking them and see if that helps. It appears to turn them on correctly, but when it switches cold/hot both the old side stays on. Pretty annoying, and I hope I just got one of the bad ones. So now I'm just manually unplugging this stupid thing on/off.
So far, there hasn't been a single confirmed malfunctioning STC-1000 reported in this thread, that I know of. Yours would be the first. Although, one place I ordered from, NovaPCS I think, canceled shipment of a batch of these citing unspecified quality control issues. Maybe yours are part of this batch. Opening up the case and checking that the transformer is the correct voltage, and the relays are the same as most might narrow down the issue.

Also, checking basic functionality by rewiring the controller on the benchtop in a very minimalist fashion, i.e. without neon/LED lights, extra switches, fan relays, disco balls, fog machines, lava lamps, etc.; might be worth it to double check that it is truly malfunctioning. Sometimes a single strand of stray wire in the wrong place can result in some very bizarre behavior. The terminal mechanism is a bit counter-intuitive, so make sure the wires are inserted and clamped correctly.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #2960
Kingfish
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:

Thanks.
Something like this.
http://www.pickercomponents.com/Data...Data_Sheet.pdf

If you have a meter, you can check the relay input and make sure it is getting ~12v.

Quick Reply