Danby 4.4 cu.ft Fridge Collar Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hauger

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an old Danby 4.4cu.ft "All Fridge" that I was going to convert to a "good enough for now" 2 Keg kegerator. The reasons are that I've sold my house and need something to house my kegs until I get around to building a bar in the new place. This fridge was either going to be converted or tossed out, so I might as well try converting it.

The problem is, it's too narrow to hold two 1/6 bbl Sanke kegs. I've trimmed all the extra plastic away and the temp control box is in no way interfering with the kegs. Putting two of them in then results in one hanging over the door about 2 inches.

The only solutions I can come up with is:

1. Build a collar out of a planed and sanded 2 x 4 giving about 3 1/2 inches of extra space (my preferred option).

2. Make the fridge wider by cutting the plastic and digging out the insulation to give me the 2 inches of width I probably need (not really preferred).

3. Give up and just enjoy one keg at a time (Boo. I like two kegs).

So, with that said, I'm thinking option 1 it is. The door looks really easy to take off and remount on the collar. I have access to a planer/sander to square off a 2x4 for a good plumb fit. I'm planning on using magnetic something or other to give a good seal. My only problem then is how to mount the collar itself.

The problem is, gravity won't be there to help mount the collar. So...how do I do it? I'm thinking some "No More Nails" and maybe some metal brackets with self tapping screws to help tie it to the fridge, but I'm open for any and all suggestions.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back