Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Converting the Frigidaire 7.2 cu ft Chest Freezer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2010, 10:35 PM   #31
fatman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

After poring over the mega-thread monster I decided to model my Keezer Build after yours. I have to say it is quite pleasing to the eye and seems pretty simple to build. I picked up a 12.8 CF over the weekend for 50 bux and beginning the rust removal tonight while prepping the wood. I cant wait for this baby to be built. Its even wife approved!

Also, since I am a kegging noob, does it make any difference to having the CO2 inside or outside the keezer?

Last edited by fatman; 05-11-2010 at 11:37 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2010, 07:51 PM   #32
Quaffer
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatman View Post
.... Also, since I am a kegging noob, does it make any difference to having the CO2 inside or outside the keezer?
Not for the carbonation process, but it does make a difference for the space inside. It really helped my smaller keezer to move the bottle to the outside. There is also somewhat less clutter of hoses this way. The drawback is that now the keezer is wider so I need to disconnect the CO2 bottle to get through doors. As they say, there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Good luck with your project.

Alcohol, the source of - and solution to - all of life’s problems. H.J.S.
My keezer, My E-brewery build thread, How I soldered 1" nut for heater

Old 07-02-2010, 07:21 PM   #33
firefly765
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Hey Quaffer,

Is there any problem with cutting out a hole in the lid of this freezer? I'm planning a build mounting an Irish coffin box on top of the freezer.

Also, the lid handle....do you think that would come off easily? I'm planning on tiling the top in granite.

Thanks.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:00 AM   #34
Quaffer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly765 View Post
Hey Quaffer,
Is there any problem with cutting out a hole in the lid of this freezer? I'm planning a build mounting an Irish coffin box on top of the freezer.
There should be no problem cutting a hole in the lid. There are no wires or refrigerant tubes in there. I have not opened it though.

Quote:
Also, the lid handle....do you think that would come off easily? I'm planning on tiling the top in granite.
Granite, sweet! The handle seems to be attached at the top only. My guess is that there are a couple of screws from the inside holding it in place. Whatever it is, I doubt you will run into troube with it. You will have to remove the lining from the lid to get to it.

You project sounds great! Good luck with it.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:06 PM   #35
firefly765
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaffer View Post
There should be no problem cutting a hole in the lid. There are no wires or refrigerant tubes in there. I have not opened it though.

Granite, sweet! The handle seems to be attached at the top only. My guess is that there are a couple of screws from the inside holding it in place. Whatever it is, I doubt you will run into troube with it. You will have to remove the lining from the lid to get to it.

You project sounds great! Good luck with it.
I was planning on attaching the collar to the freezer not the lid because of the weight of the granite & coffin box. Do you think that's wise?

Old 07-06-2010, 05:15 AM   #36
Quaffer
Recipes 

Quote:
I was planning on attaching the collar to the freezer not the lid because of the weight of the granite & coffin box. Do you think that's wise?
That is what I would do. However, more people seem to go for the collar-on-lid setup. If you attach the collar to the lid and the springs are not able to hold the lid open, you could add a prop or two to keep it open. I think it would work fine either way.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:44 AM   #37
mikewildt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaffer View Post
There is a 19.25" s.s. drip tray attached to the kegerator wall by three angle brackets and heavy duty double-sticky foam tape. The foam tape should hold five lbs. The drip tray has not budged at all.
First off I must say your setup is quite impressive. I am basing my build off many of the steps you took. I have painted my chest freezer black, and cut and stained my collar today. There is a ways to go but I finally acquired all of my parts from the construction pieces to a kit from kegworks, including a double pressure regulator which I am pumped about.

I have two questions for you. First off, do you know what brand of double sided foam tape you used for you drip tray? I have found many online that seem similar but all seem discontinued or out of stock, nor can I find exactly what it seems like you used.

Second, I have found a lot of instructions on how to cool a beer tower, using a tube and a small computer fan to pump cold air all the way to the end of the beer lines. But have you seen or heard of any ideas or instructions that work for builds like ours where our faucets are connected through shanks driven through the collar? I have a friend with a similar kegerator build and he always has to cool his faucets down by wasting a pint of foam. Don't know if there is such a way but would be interested to know if there was!

Old 07-29-2010, 12:45 PM   #38
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 940 Times on 626 Posts
Likes Given: 28

You don't have to cool the faucets through a collar. Just run a small fan to keep the air moving in the chest. I dump the first 2oz pour (into my pie hole) then it pours perfectly for the next pint.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 07-30-2010, 04:38 AM   #39
Quaffer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewildt View Post
First off, do you know what brand of double sided foam tape you used for you drip tray? I have found many online that seem similar but all seem discontinued or out of stock, nor can I find exactly what it seems like you used.
I got it at Lowes/Home Depot, but they don't seem to carry it anymore. I still have the roll, but it has no markings. After a little searching I found it at Amazon, for example. It is called 3M Scotch 4011 Exterior Mounting Tape, 1 in x 60 in. I should add it to the bill of materials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewildt View Post
Second, I have found a lot of instructions on how to cool a beer tower, using a tube and a small computer fan to pump cold air all the way to the end of the beer lines. But have you seen or heard of any ideas or instructions that work for builds like ours where our faucets are connected through shanks driven through the collar? I have a friend with a similar kegerator build and he always has to cool his faucets down by wasting a pint of foam. Don't know if there is such a way but would be interested to know if there was!
I finally mounted my fan on a 3" plastic pipe which stands on the bottom of the freezer with the fan mounted on top, about 4" from the lid. The pipe has large holes cut with a hole saw around the bottom so the fan can suck cold air from the bottom and circulate it up to the collar to cool the beer lines and the back of the faucets. Not my idea, I saw it done on this board somewhere. I also added a switch so I can turn on the fan full-time when I am getting ready to serve.

Even so, the first glass I pour is about 60% foam, the second just right. It is not a big problem, just let the glass sit for a couple of minutes, then top it up. This is how they serve Guinness after all.

By the way, Bobby_M's freezer conversion was the first I ever saw. I found it while cruising YouTube, among many other of his excellent videos. It is what brought me to this site and the original inspiration for my build.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:37 PM   #40
mikewildt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Finished photos

So I finished the construction of the kegerator. Was a fun project and I am satisfied with the results. Thanks to all the help from QUAFFER and several other forums on HomeBrewTalk. Currently as you can see there is only one tap set up, but as I can afford more faucets I will be adding on 5 additional Perlick Perls. Also have yet to buy and build on the drip tray. The first beer I tapped was a Racer 5 keg, and what a difference that beer is out of the bottle. Will put additional photo updates up as pieces are added.

Upgraded the regulator. That is not a picture of the Racer 5, that is a Pabst 15 gal keg I put in there to test how much space I would have. Also not pictured in this is the temperature controller because I had to exchange it for a new one. First one was dead on arrival, but it is a Johnson A19 digital controller.

Tags
frigidaire, keezer, kegerator

Quick Reply