Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #2471
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongemus View Post
Wilserbrewer, I currently have a MT I made from my old beach cooler and some hardware. I use Denny's method often. I would recommend it to anybody.

My set up works well but it is getting old and was never that efficient. I am also trying to upgrade to 10 or even 15 gallon batches. So I think I need a better system. To build my own good system it seems I'm only saving if I skimp on parts... a cheaper cooler, braided hose instead of a false bottom. I want it to be efficient and move up with me as I brew more and more.

What do people use for brewing 10-15 gallon batches?
Sounds to me like you are convinced you "need" a better system. I am a batch sparger and have no desire to fly sparge! So therefore, I have no need for a false bottom and would not consider it as an "upgrade", but rather another piece of equipment to disassemble and clean as opposed to just rinsing out a tun w/ a braid. A braid will also clear quicker and require less vorlaugh. For 10-15 gallon batches and batch sparging I would go with a 70 qt cooler and a robust hot water heater braid. JMO cheers! The 10 gal MLT'S sold with valves and false bottoms do not excite me being a batch sparger.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #2472
dongemus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 48

OKay this is off topic, but why do you mash overnight? What temp do you start at/end at? What kind of beers do you do this with?

Primary: Oatmeal Porter, Peach Mead
Secondary: Cascadian Dark Ale, Quad Trappist
Bottled: Iced Coffee Ale, Honey Ale, Quad Trappist, Old Norse Ale, Coconut Porter

http://riotbeer.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #2473
Eddiebosox
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
OKay this is off topic, but why do you mash overnight? What temp do you start at/end at? What kind of beers do you do this with?
Some people do it as a time saver, but there's different schools of thought on how it would affect the beer. Some think it would extract harsh tannins by letting it mash so long.

Kegged
House Bitter
Summer Whwat

Old 02-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #2474
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiebosox View Post
Some people do it as a time saver, but there's different schools of thought on how it would affect the beer. Some think it would extract harsh tannins by letting it mash so long.
And others, like me, who've done it over a dozen times now, would disagree with that.

I do it to make brew day manageable. I heat strike while I weight and crush my grain, assemble my mash tun, etc. By the time I dough-in I've spent about an hour, maybe 90 minutes. I can then walk away and (if it's at night) go to sleep -OR- (if it's during the day) go do some other errands, spend time with kids, go to a movie, projects around the house, whatever. I never have to worry about the beer. When I'm ready, anywhere from 3-8 hours later, I flip on the sparge water and finish the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #2475
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
1. see above
2. I generally raise my temps by about 3* compared to 60m mashes due to the longer time spent in beta amylase's sweet-spot as the temp drops. Nobody has ever commented on my beers tasting different, out of style, etc. but it did take some time learning what attenuation I got with different temps. For instance, 153 will give me almost 95% attenuation, finishing at nearly 1.002 for a low-to-med gravity beer.
3. Any and all beers. I've made dry PA's up to malty Oktoberfests. Yet to make a stout, but that was true before I even started overnight mashing.

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #2476
dongemus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Thanks for the reply. I don't jump up to vorlauf at 60 minutes, but I never thought of letting it go longer than 90-120 minutes or so. I have drained the MT and then boiled the next day. One day if it's convenient I might try a longer mash.

Primary: Oatmeal Porter, Peach Mead
Secondary: Cascadian Dark Ale, Quad Trappist
Bottled: Iced Coffee Ale, Honey Ale, Quad Trappist, Old Norse Ale, Coconut Porter

http://riotbeer.com

Old 02-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #2477
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I don't jump up to vorlauf at 60 minutes, but I never thought of letting it go longer than 90-120 minutes or so. I have drained the MT and then boiled the next day. One day if it's convenient I might try a longer mash.
Some time when you want more Saturday to do other things, start the mash the night before, around 10 or 11 maybe, then get up relatively early on Saturday and finish the brew. You'll be done by 10AM and have the rest of your day free. Like I said, I'd start the mash 3* higher than normal, though, and definitely insulate with blankets, etc.

Quote:

Old 02-21-2013, 11:35 PM   #2478
VMCosco
Recipes 

This may have already been mentioned, but I thought it was a nice realization. I searched the thread and didn't see that anyone had done it.

I made mine out of a 5 gallon Rubbermaid cooler. For the time being, I am going to use it for partial mash and use a bag in the cooler so I did not have to worry about filtering out the grain at all.

I replaced the barb on the inside with a brass "street elbow" (Watts A-782). By turning the the elbow downward, the opening is only 1/8 inch above the bottom. I drained the cooler and measure the deadspace. It was only 6oz!!!

Thought I would share this discovery for the benefit of anyone else who doesn't need the braided hose.

2013-02-21-18.08.10.jpg   2013-02-21-18.08.30.jpg  

Old 02-22-2013, 02:42 AM   #2479
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMCosco View Post
This may have already been mentioned, but I thought it was a nice realization. I searched the thread and didn't see that anyone had done it.

I made mine out of a 5 gallon Rubbermaid cooler. For the time being, I am going to use it for partial mash and use a bag in the cooler so I did not have to worry about filtering out the grain at all.

I replaced the barb on the inside with a brass "street elbow" (Watts A-782). By turning the the elbow downward, the opening is only 1/8 inch above the bottom. I drained the cooler and measure the deadspace. It was only 6oz!!!

Thought I would share this discovery for the benefit of anyone else who doesn't need the braided hose.
I did BIAB this way for several batches, myself. Very easy way yo get started

Quote:

Old 02-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #2480
BigPoppa502
Intergalactic Beer King
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That's a great tip! Thanks. Ill be running out today to get that part.

- josh
Derby City Brewing Co.

Quick Reply