New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #2431
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepo
Has anyone used Pex Tubing when building a mash turn? I would think since it is used for plumbing it would be good but I don't see it mentioned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyb85

What part of the MLT would you be using it for?
I plan on using PEX for a sight glass. Currently looking for a food safe colored floating ball to act as a level indicator.

I can see it being used between the valve and false bottom or going straight into a manifold. Also for the valve output it would work well.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 07:16 PM   #2432
mattyb85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin

I plan on using PEX for a sight glass. Currently looking for a food safe colored floating ball to act as a level indicator.

I can see it being used between the valve and false bottom or going straight into a manifold. Also for the valve output it would work well.
I guess it would depend what temp it's rated to? I don't use a sight glass on my MLT and I use silicone tubing which is rated to 500F

Old 01-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #2433
jeepinjeepin
Recipes 

Quote:

I guess it would depend what temp it's rated to? I don't use a sight glass on my MLT and I use silicone tubing which is rated to 500F
Yeah, sorry, the sight glass is for my upcoming HLT. Surely PEX is rated to boiling. I'll look that up.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 01-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #2434
mattyb85
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianskate
Has anybody been able to assemble a current online "best prices" parts list?

I've been slowly pricing out a low-end AG setup with coolers, but comparing the price of the 10gl Igloo alone ($72 at Lowes! - which is the only hardware store nearby, or a cheaper Rubbermaid, which I'm not too sure about) vs a pre-built kit from other sites, it seems like the savings isn't really significant anymore... but please correct me if I'm wrong, preferably with links
Both the lowes brand and the Rubbermaid (which is what I'm using) are $47-ish right now.

http://m.lowes.com/product?langId=-1&storeId=10702&catalogId=10051&productId=3318366& store=1198&view=detail

I also used brewhardware.com for my bulkhead and valve and nipple. Less parts!

http://www.brewhardware.com/valves

I think everything cost me under 100. Prolly around 90-95 after shipping.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #2435
mattyb85
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin

Yeah, sorry, the sight glass is for my upcoming HLT. Surely PEX is rated to boiling. I'll look that up.
I would just go to brewhardware.com his sight glass works great and isn't expensive.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #2436
jeepinjeepin
Recipes 

Quote:

I would just go to brewhardware.com his sight glass works great and isn't expensive.
If I buy something RTR that's where it will come from. The only reason I'm looking is that I already have most of what I'd need to put one or two together. Bad news, PEX is rated to 200F. That's a little low for my tastes. Might revisit silicone.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #2437
IanJ
youtube.com/brewfiles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyb85 View Post
Both the lowes brand and the Rubbermaid (which is what I'm using) are $47-ish right now.

http://m.lowes.com/product?langId=-1&storeId=10702&catalogId=10051&productId=3318366& store=1198&view=detail

I also used brewhardware.com for my bulkhead and valve and nipple. Less parts!

http://www.brewhardware.com/valves

I think everything cost me under 100. Prolly around 90-95 after shipping.
Right on! Gonna head over to Lowes and have a look around... even if it is 14 degrees outside right now.

My concerns were mainly the insulation/quality of the lower-end coolers, need to examine them in person for comparison.

Edit: And bought everything, except the 5/8" Fender washers, as expected. Total came out to $80.00. Also needed a Dremel, so I got the 200 series for $50, hopefully it'll cut through the SS supply hose.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:23 AM   #2438
mattyb85
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:

Right on! Gonna head over to Lowes and have a look around... even if it is 14 degrees outside right now.

My concerns were mainly the insulation/quality of the lower-end coolers, need to examine them in person for comparison.

Edit: And bought everything, except the 5/8" Fender washers, as expected. Total came out to $80.00. Also needed a Dremel, so I got the 200 series for $50, hopefully it'll cut through the SS supply hose.
I used hose cutters like these to cut through mine. Like buttah!

image-2448741659.jpg

Old 01-25-2013, 04:19 AM   #2439
IanJ
youtube.com/brewfiles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Maybe I can sneak in and use an unpackaged one.... but at the same time, I've needed a dremel over the years, this is probably the best excuse to throw my money at one. Now, to check a mom and pop store for those 5/8 washers and I'll be golden.

Minus tubing and a bigger kettle. And figuring out how to rig an IC to sink faucet sprayer :/

Old 01-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #2440
mattyb85
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Maybe I can sneak in and use an unpackaged one.... but at the same time, I've needed a dremel over the years, this is probably the best excuse to throw my money at one. Now, to check a mom and pop store for those 5/8 washers and I'll be golden.

Minus tubing and a bigger kettle. And figuring out how to rig an IC to sink faucet sprayer :/
If IC = immersion chiller than you can use a cheap pond pump and fill up a cooler with ice water

Quick Reply