New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2010, 03:55 PM   #1131
BendBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce View Post
I'm not doubting you but what happens when you use the polymer tubing?

If its just a crush factor could I just cut the inside tubing some and put that in back in the braid for strength?
You don' want to use the tubing that comes with the braid. I never had my braid crush per say, mine just got beat up over time and started to become inconsistent.

Somewhere in this long thread FlyGuy suggests skipping any tubing inside the braid. It isn't necessary.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 04:27 PM   #1132
BryanJ
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I just assembled a similar MLT to the op's and instead of using the ss braid i used a cpvc manifold and a shorter brass bulkhead. Does anyone have any experience with cpvc with brewing? It came out to about 80$ which was a bit more than i expected to spend but the cooler was 55...

Old 07-01-2010, 05:53 AM   #1133
Hastings
Recipes 

I'am only brewing 5 gallons of beer at a time. Will a 5 gallon cooler work for mash just as good as a 10 gallon??

Old 07-01-2010, 12:41 PM   #1134
JMass
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you brew stronger beers, or add a lot of water to adjust the temp, a larger cooler is better. I've gotten by w/ a 5 gallon cooler but it gets pretty full some times.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #1135
DrawTap88
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastings View Post
I'am only brewing 5 gallons of beer at a time. Will a 5 gallon cooler work for mash just as good as a 10 gallon??
I don't think you can get away with a 5 gallon cooler if you're making 5 gallon batches. With my average 9-10 lbs of grains, plus around 3 gallons of water, my 10 gallon cooler gets more than half full. Not to mention that you're going to have to compensate for loss of mash efficiency by adding more grains or more water, depending on your preference, getting the 10 gallon cooler is worth the extra $20.

Hope that helps. If anyone sees any flaws in my logic, please let me and everyone else know.

Fermenting: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Oatmeal Porter, Double Chocolate Chipotle Porter
Kegged: IPA, Red Rye

Old 07-02-2010, 02:21 AM   #1136
nanofreak
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I did a 60 Quart Ice Cube cooler (already had the cooler) with the same parts list, thanks FlyGuy for the post. No leaks, and I am a very happy man.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:44 AM   #1137
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrawTap88 View Post
I don't think you can get away with a 5 gallon cooler if you're making 5 gallon batches. With my average 9-10 lbs of grains, plus around 3 gallons of water, my 10 gallon cooler gets more than half full. Not to mention that you're going to have to compensate for loss of mash efficiency by adding more grains or more water, depending on your preference, getting the 10 gallon cooler is worth the extra $20.

Hope that helps. If anyone sees any flaws in my logic, please let me and everyone else know.
nope, flawless.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:40 AM   #1138
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrawTap88 View Post

Nope. No flaws. I have both a 7g and a 10g cooler for mashing in. The 7g can - barely - mash a 1.045 OG beer with 80% efficiency and 1.2q:lb ratio. No way you could do an all grain in a 5g tun.

GT

Old 07-02-2010, 04:00 AM   #1139
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default My thoughts...

1st off thanks for the great DIY. Mine is done and it seems to not leak. I followed the instructions and parts in the OP and it was all pretty straight forward.

I may end up swapping out the nipple for 1 that is the next size smaller in length. While it does not leak the "looseness" of the ball valve does have me concerned. I understand that it does not need to be crushed on but it seems loose and scary...lol. We will see as it is "testing" now.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:27 AM   #1140
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Trub? View Post
Nope. No flaws. I have both a 7g and a 10g cooler for mashing in. The 7g can - barely - mash a 1.045 OG beer with 80% efficiency and 1.2q:lb ratio. No way you could do an all grain in a 5g tun.

GT
Like any question other than what color is green grass, you're gonna have differing opinions, & differing experiences from one individual to another. As you'll see below I've had a much different experience using a 5 gal. tun than Got Trub has with a 7 gal tun. I easily get 1.065+ OG biers with approx. 12 lbs of grist in my 5 gal tun with efficiency of 80-85%. In order to get a 1.045 OG bier I use less than 9 lbs of grist for an average recipe which doesn't come close to filling up a 5 gal tun.

I've got a 5 gallon cooler and am very happy with it for 5.5 gallon batches. Since investing in a simple corona style mill I now routinely get 82-85% efficiency. My last batch linked here: http://hopville.com/recipe/199372/other-smoked-beer-recipes/illudium-pu-36-smoked-porter contained 10lbs 5 oz. grist which produced 1.057 OG.

My brew prior to this one was a Strong Scotch Ale linked here: http://hopville.com/recipe/188576/strong-scotch-ale-recipes/1314-the-year-of-scottish-freedom which I got 86% efficiency on and a 1.089 OG on a 4.5 gallon batch using almost 13 lbs of grist which fit in my 5 gal tun with slightly thicker mash than usual.

I can achieve 1.100 on 4 gallon batches with my 5 gallon mash-tun. I have a Makita cooler which was listed as a 5 gallon cooler but I believe is more like 5.5 or 5.75 which helps me in terms of achieving good gravity numbers with a smaller mash tun. The down side of having a larger cooler is the heat loss issues you'll have when doing a small batch like a 1.035 Ordinary Bitter, Mild, Specialty Belgian, etc. It's very hard without a false top (piece of styrofoam placed on top of the mash) to get a good mash on 6 lbs of grist in a 10 gallon cooler.

My conclusion is it depends on what your expectations are & your brewing style. I just don't drink enough bier to make 10 gallon batches (I even have 3 kegs set aside waiting for the day I go bigger). Thus for me the idea of doing 4-4.5 gallon batches when I produce RIS, Barleywine, Scotch Strong, etc. is no big deal. About half of my brews are 1.045 or less session biers so the 5 Gal MLT works great and I would find more frustration in a larger MLT rather than the minor inconvenience of producing 'less' bier on the bigger styles. If it's a big deal, get a 5 & 10 gal MLT! I know even with a 10 gal I'll never say bye to the 5 gal tun!

Schlante,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Quick Reply