CFC build quick-connects?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HausBrauerei_Harvey

Reaction score
I just assembled the parts necessary to build a 20' CFC as many have done here before, but I want to put a twist on it.

I dont yet have any quick-connect fittings in my brewery, but I am ready to upgrade. I would like to add a quick-connect fitting to my keggle (1/2" NPT out), which I can connect up to my 3/8" OD copper CFC coil. I have some 3/8" silicon tubing on-hand I was intending to do this with.

Can I somehow put a quick-connect right onto the 3/8" copper from the CFC or will I will stuck hose-clamping my silicon tubing to this end, and having a quick-connect on the other end for the brewpot.

I've been looking at these fittings (male and female) FWIW. I appreciate any input/advice.

My solution to quick disconnects for the CFC, and all other hose/device connections, was to put male cam lock fittings on each device and female cam lock fittings on each end of my hoses. The CFC ends have 1/2" npt fittings soldered on and use threaded cam locks.

I included 1/2" female NPT copper fittings on all four ports of my CFC.

I added F-type Brewhardware Camlocks to the wort passage.

I added hose to 1/2" male NPT adaptors to attach water hose fittings to the water passage.

Also included a temperature probe.

counter-flow-chiller-57957.jpg

img_20130111_134509_222-57959.jpg

img_20130111_134617_282-57960.jpg

I do the same as Rauoliii. I use male camlocks from Brewhardware (and even the camlock caps to keep bugs out of my CFC when not in use). All of my brew hoses (1/2" silicone) have female camlock fittings, so my kettle manifold, pump, cartridge filter, etc have male camlock connectors. I also have a plate chiller that also uses camlocks in the same manner. It is a bit more expensive to outfit all of your rig with camlock fittings, but not too bad. Plus, it makes setup and breakdown so much easier.

I included 1/2" female NPT copper fittings on all four ports of my CFC.

I added F-type Brewhardware Camlocks to the wort passage.

I added hose to 1/2" male NPT adaptors to attach water hose fittings to the water passage.

Also included a temperature probe.

Thanks for the great info! I saw the beer side outlet temperature probe idea somewhere else as well and was going to build that in. I like the camlock ideas you guys have, those seem great and looks like i'll have to figure out what types I need and i'll be ordering quite a few here shortly.

Cheers,
Steve

I do the same as Rauoliii. I use male camlocks from Brewhardware (and even the camlock caps to keep bugs out of my CFC when not in use). All of my brew hoses (1/2" silicone) have female camlock fittings, so my kettle manifold, pump, cartridge filter, etc have male camlock connectors. I also have a plate chiller that also uses camlocks in the same manner. It is a bit more expensive to outfit all of your rig with camlock fittings, but not too bad. Plus, it makes setup and breakdown so much easier.

I was looking at brewhardware and saw how they downplay there female to hosebarb camlock fittings because you only get 3/8" flow from a 1/2" port.

I assume then that female camlock to NPT is better (even if i'm just putting a HB on it for now), but do you recommend male or female NPT on the camlok? Also, if i'm connecting something to this NPT fitting do you use teflon tape or something to prevent leaking, i'm not so sure about using teflon tape where it may get in contact with beer.

Just looking for a bit more info from you experts who have done before me.

Thanks!
Steve

I was looking at brewhardware and saw how they downplay there female to hosebarb camlock fittings because you only get 3/8" flow from a 1/2" port.

I assume then that female camlock to NPT is better (even if i'm just putting a HB on it for now), but do you recommend male or female NPT on the camlok? Also, if i'm connecting something to this NPT fitting do you use teflon tape or something to prevent leaking, i'm not so sure about using teflon tape where it may get in contact with beer.

Just looking for a bit more info from you experts who have done before me.

Thanks!
Steve

Steve:

I use Bobby's Big C female connectors on most of my brew hoses (except the one that connects to my kettle, and that one uses a BL on the kettle end):

http://www.brewhardware.com/fittings-75/102-camlock-disconnects

These have a 1/2" ID, so no flow restriction and work great for 1/2" silicone hoses.

On my CFC, I soldered 1/2" Copper C x FPT adapters to each end:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/NIBCO-1-2-in-Copper-C-x-FPT-Adapter-C603HD12/100344660

I then screwed in type F male camlock fittings into the copper adapters. On my new plate chiller (which has 1/2" MPT wort connections), I used type A camlocks. Teflon tape is always used to help seal the threads. No concern about Teflon contacting the wort, as it's what is used for non-stick pans that cook at much higher temps.

Thanks for all the info guys, $100 spent at brewhardware.com today and I think I've got all the fittings needed for my brewery to grow into my CFC and later addition of a pump. Money well spent with the time saved over the next years I hope.

Cheers,
Steve

Back