Can anyone tell me what kind of metal this is made of?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krops13

Reaction score
84c3883f.jpg

My neighbour has a bunch of then and was practically throwing them at me. The package didn't say and all I know about them is they are not magnetic. I'm wanting to use them on a keggle and did a test run with water. They hold water tight.

It looks like lead to me, but it's probably not. Is it soft, does it get nicks easily if you hit it on something?

Did the packaging say they were anodes? If so, it's usually a magnesium/aluminum alloy.

Myers hub die cast alloy like zinc, potmetal and aluminum mix. It will crack like any cast material. Good for conduits entering a panel or box as there is a waterproof "O" ring under hub flange.

I took it through a full heating cycle. ( braught water to boiling then cooled) no leaks cracks nothin. I really want to know what they,re made of alluminium lead nucular waste whatever it maybe before the next batch.

Myers hub die cast alloy like zinc, potmetal and aluminum mix. It will crack like any cast material. Good for conduits entering a panel or box as there is a waterproof "O" ring under hub flange.

is this the post your refering too. I guess I was confused a bit when I first read it. Is this mix of metal dangerous.

Not fond of the Zinc. IIRC, it can react with the pH. Not sure about the potmetal.

Still, I d rather use brass that was intended for potable water than a conduit hub that was never intended for food contact.

Just saying. Keep searching the metalurrgy. You may be fine.

I would rather challenge growing corrosive powder coming off pure 1100 series alumimum eating itself up with the low pH your dealing with as a health hazard than the mix of crap alloys in that Myers hub anyday. There is no food grade standards or ratings required with electrical parts unless they are food grade and this isn't in that classification. I would use any pickled brass fittlings long before going with a Myers hub or any electrical cast alloy fitting after working with them over 29 years with seeing the results of them used in the wrong locations and conditions, a contractor cutting corners going cheap on materials at times. Put it this way, i'm sorry it's on your rig it wouldn't of been a consideration at all on my rig.

Thank you everyone for yor help. I fiured there was a reason noone was using them. Now my suspisions are confirmed.

Latest posts

Back