New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Camlock QD 1/2" question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Camlock QD 1/2" question

I see lots of people fretting the barbed camlock fittings because they supposedly create a bottleneck in your line due to them not being 1/2" inner diameter. After ordering my bulkhead and seeing that the pickuptube and compression fitting are 3/8" and 1/4" ID respectfully, how is the barb a problem?

Can't you only flow as quick as your smallest fitting? Therefore if you're using a compression fitting that squeezes down to 1/4", then putting the 1/2" hose over the threaded fittings seems pointless and the barbs are the least of your worries.

Or am I missing something here?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
BargainFittings
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Each restriction adds up and many people want to eliminate as many bottlenecks in their flow as they can.

My own setup, I use 1/2" OD stainless pickups, C style camlocks on my tubes and have 1/2" x 1/2" tube compression fittings on the pickups.

I have this type of setup on both my 15 gallon and my 50 gallon brew rigs.
I use 809 march pumps and throttle them with a valve on the outlet.

I recirculate with one of our whirlpool fittings and get circulation in both size kettles.

My transfer rates are acceptable even on the 50 gallon rig and I don't plan to change anything out.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BargainFittings View Post
Each restriction adds up and many people want to eliminate as many bottlenecks in their flow as they can.

My own setup, I use 1/2" OD stainless pickups, C style camlocks on my tubes and have 1/2" x 1/2" tube compression fittings on the pickups.

I have this type of setup on both my 15 gallon and my 50 gallon brew rigs.
I use 809 march pumps and throttle them with a valve on the outlet.

I recirculate with one of our whirlpool fittings and get circulation in both size kettles.

My transfer rates are acceptable even on the 50 gallon rig and I don't plan to change anything out.
Ahhhh, so the restrictions are cumulative? I just bought (and recieved) some fittings from you actually. I didn't realize that they add up. I figured 1 would slow down your system as much as 2 would. I had planned exactly the same system as you have going. I am just trying to decide if putting the 1/2" hose over the threads on the B style disconnect was worth it vs. getting the barbed, which look nicer to me.

I have a march pump and a 40 plate chiller. The chiller itself will be a restriction, so maybe having 1/2" all the way through is not even worth it and the barbs would be fine. I'll search around a little more to see what people think on this.

Any input here is helpful too!

Btw, I ordered my fittings from you, they came quick! Thanks a ton!

Old 01-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I use and sell pickup tubes in 5/8" OD just to keep everything 1/2" ID from start to finish. The flow rate I get from HLT to the top of my MLT with the regular March 809-HS is 3.5GPM and it drops to 3.25 with no other changes than reducing to a 1/2" OD diptube. Most people aren't neurotic enough to care about that.

However, swapping the disconnect to the barbed style drops it down to 3 GPM. Of course the plate chiller would destroy that, but what about all the other transfer functions? I also think the way the hose has to make it's own turn on the barbed females is problematic for kinking.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 01-03-2012, 10:41 PM   #5
TomRep
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A lot of people don't like the barbs due to the way the hose tends to kink where it comes off the barb. I am using barbs on my setup. When I flow tested two weeks ago, the flow was just fine for me. I have something I am going to be trying out to see if I can get rid of the kinking issue as well.
tom

Abandoned Logic Brewing

Old 01-03-2012, 10:46 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

You can put springs over the ends of the silicone.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 01-03-2012, 11:32 PM   #7
goybar
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I use the ProFlowDynamics Aluminum Type B Coupler, and just squeeze the 1/2 silicone tubing over the threads. It is full 1/2 that way. Sometimes I will use a worm type clamp, but really hasn't been necessary, they do not come off easy or leak.

chris

Old 01-04-2012, 01:33 AM   #8
ingchr1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRep
A lot of people don't like the barbs due to the way the hose tends to kink where it comes off the barb.
I use 90 degree street elbows to prevent kinks.

Chris

Quick Reply