Bypassing an A/C thermostat ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Esmitee

Reaction score
Hia Guys, Im going to use a 6,000 btu wall A/C unit for a fermentation chamber build.

I'm going to have room for 3 carboys on top, with room for blow-offs,
a hole (IE: ventilation for the cold air to drop to the bottom) where I will have up to 8 kegs under and chilled. Thats as far as I got so far.

I figure it will measuse (Ruffly 65" tall, 18" deep and about 34" wide) All inside measurments.

Also I have ordered an E-Bay mini temp controller to use.

I also plan to use light bulbs , OR Maybe another source for heat too.

Few questions about the A/C unit,

#1 Can you extend the thermister, buy cutting and extending it with a soild copper wire to the OUTSIDE of the fermenator?

#2 To bi Pass the thermostat, would you just remove the thermostat and connect the 2 wires together that go to the thermostat? See Pics....

#3 Use the night light that I seen in another thread, to trick the thermostat to go lower? Would you just wire it to go on when the controller turned on the a/c unit? Like using a double recpt where the a/c unit and night light were plugged in?

#4 if I had the chamber in my garage, where in the winter it gets mighty cold, like freezing, will the a/c unit still go on?

#5 Just use the older Sub Zero refer/freezer as the chamber with the controller?

2011-10-10_17-42-17_309.jpg

2011-10-10_17-42-46_554.jpg

2011-10-10_20-05-23_68.jpg

To answer one question....if it is in your garage where the temps go sub-zero, why would you need the AC unit to come on. If anything, you will need a heat source to keep fermentation going. I guess I didn't really answer a question, but asked one instead :)

To answer one question....if it is in your garage where the temps go sub-zero, why would you need the AC unit to come on. If anything, you will need a heat source to keep fermentation going. I guess I didn't really answer a question, but asked one instead :)

LOL well I know I'll need the heat on in there, But I wanta be sure if it gets to hot in there, The a/c unit will still kick on. Thats why Im thinking bi-passing the t-stat will be the best way. Not extending the thermister.

Yes, just cut those two wires and attach them to your new controller terminals.

Hey Bobby, Im not clear on how to wire it that way. Would you just remove the T-Stat and tie those 2 wires together and plug the A/C unit into the recpt. that I will wire, so that when the temp controller calls for cold, it will turn on to cool?.

Maybe there is a thread on doing this I should search for....

Well, I mean if you want to wire a standard plug into your controller and plug the AC into that, you can just wire-nut those two wires together because the internal thermostat does just that when it calls for cooling. On the other hand, you can also hard wire your new controller into those two wires. The new controller becomes the switch deciding when the two wires should touch and when they shouldn't.

Bobby,
Thanks, just the info I needed. I understand it better now. I'm going to give it a try.

I will wire the recpt. to the controller and remove the A/C t-stat and tie the 2 wires together.

I'll do it that way cause I may change my mind about using the refer I have?

Back