broke the rubber o-ring to my blichmann thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawbrewing

Reaction score
i was making my keggle today, and tightened my weldless blichmann thermometer too tight, and the orange rubber o-ring got smashed, and broke, so of course it leaked. i went to menards, and they didn't have any temperature ratings on their o-rings. i just got a black #10 o ring, which fit exactly the same as the orange one that came with the thermometer, and used less force, and i got no leaks. i'm worried that the heat of the wort, ket, etc. will be too much, and the black o-ring from menards won't hold up though. anybody else done this before?

As I recall Buna O-rings (black) are good to about 250F. So you should be ok in the short term. I would replace it with a Silicone when you can. McMaster has them as well as local well stock plumbing supply or industrial fluid control supply companies.

cool thanks. i just gave it a test run, no leaks, but the thermometer got really hot and started fogging from the inside ! grrrr. i think i put it too low. i turned my burner off, cause i was afraid of breaking the thermometer and the water, according to the thermometer was only barely over 100 degrees

foggin from the inside? maybe the thermo is defective? exchange it for a new one and see what happens after getting a better o-ring

foggin from the inside? maybe the thermo is defective? exchange it for a new one and see what happens after getting a better o-ring

i don't know. the instructions that came with it says basically "if the thermomiter gets too hot, it can break an inner seal, and make it fog up from the inside, and it voids the warranty."

yeah, it's definately foggin' from the inside though. i really hope i didn't break a thermometer that i just spent $40 bucks on though. i'm not sure what to do about it though. grrrrr.

Back