Air circulation fan in keezer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drthrob

Reaction score
To clarify, I am NOT building a tower fan configuration. I am just looking to get better air circulation in my keezer build to try and even out the temps. That being said, I'm curious what the best place to mount a 120 mm computer fan would be for this? I have a 7.1 cu ft (I think) freezer that I built a collar on and used to mount tap shanks, rather than drill through the wall of the freezer itself. It holds two corny pin-lock kegs comfortably, but I think a small fan would benefit me in terms of temperature distribution. Is it better to put the fan near the bottom and push cold air upwards or near the top and push warmer air downwards? I am leaning toward the former, if only for reasons of thermodynamics.

I do not mount mine. I simply set them upright where ever there is room and will promote the best circulation. This is what I have:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NVC1DS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I do not think it really matters if it is at the top or bottom. In in inclosed space barring any thing blocking airflow, it will circulate air throughout from top to bottom wherever the fan is located.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have mine mounted on the bottom part of the collar, though i can see it working just about anywhere like the others have said.. i have one similar to this one, i like it since it just plugs into the wall

Last edited by a moderator:
I was having some circulation and foaming issues with my new Keezer. I fashioned this thing out of cardboard and duct tape to see if it would help. Temps are pretty equal top to bottom now. Someday I'll make something more permanent but this is doing the trick for now. I am just using an old PC fan wired to a cell phone charger and a 7.0 cu GE freezer. Fan is attached to a couple angle brackets which are attached to the collar. It pulls enough cold air up to do the job.

IMG_1482.jpg

I was having some circulation and foaming issues with my new Keezer. I fashioned this thing out of cardboard and duct tape to see if it would help. Temps are pretty equal top to bottom now. Someday I'll make something more permanent but this is doing the trick for now. I am just using an old PC fan wired to a cell phone charger and a 7.0 cu GE freezer. Fan is attached to a couple angle brackets which are attached to the collar. It pulls enough cold air up to do the job.

I simply placed my fan on the shelf and it seems to have evened everything out without a rig like that. I wouldn't suggest changing it now, but might be more trouble than it's worth to build for anyone wondering.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Certainly it's worth trying simpler solutions first. And a 120mm 12vdc fan screwed to a block of maple and blowing from the hump into the maze of kegs has worked adequately for my 13cf keezer.

But that thing has a certain geek factor in its favor :D
And as noted in another thread, the stack is blowing at his shanks and apparently resolved a first-pour problem.
So, two thumbs up!

Cheers!

Certainly it's worth trying simpler solutions first. And a 120mm 12vdc fan screwed to a block of maple and blowing from the hump into the maze of kegs has worked adequately for my 13cf keezer.

But that thing has a certain geek factor in its favor :D

Cheers!

This I will concede.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have a 3 tap 6.8 chest freezer with 8" collar, insulated with 1" rigid insulation. I had a fan for a while, just didn't see where it made any difference. I have 10' lines and moving them around and finding the right place for the lines made some difference in pouring consistency. I don't get much condensation - I use one of the gel crystal gun safe dehumidifiers.

So you guys just leave the fan running all day? Any big effects on energy consumption or do the fans have relatively low power usage?

Extremely low power usage. Might cost you a quarter a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I use 2 squirrel cage fans mounted under my freezer hood.

They pull air from the freezer and blow it right onto my taps and beer lines. Keeps the air moving and does double duty at keeping my beer lines cold.

Highly recommended!

fwiw, at some point you have to start respecting the thermal dissipation of the air mover versus its functionality. If you're dumping 10 watts inside a keezer just to keep the air moving when a sub-1 watt 120mm peecee fan would do, you're probably not well served...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back