Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Trip from Mass to Wisconsin through Chicago!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2013, 11:28 PM   #1
TedsExcellentAdventure
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Trip from Mass to Wisconsin through Chicago!!

SWMBO and myself are taking a road trip from Mass to Wisconsin to a family cabin in Rhinelander, staying in Chicago for a night or two as well. Looking for some suggestions on places to stop and beer to drink from some of you local guys!

Primary: White IPA
Secondary: IPA
Bottled and serving: IPA, Belgian Saison, Maple Ale

"Beer speaks, people mumble." - Lagunitas

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2013, 12:02 AM   #2
Doongie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

I happen to be from The Rhinelander area, and actually was there last week. It's God's country, enjoy your visit!

Bell's is in Kalamazoo, MI, they make good beer.
Three Floyd's is not far off the interstate in NW Indiana, everyone seems to love them.

From Chicago area, if you come up 90/39:

In Madison you have several Great Dane brewpubs, Vintage Brewing (brewpub), and Capitol Brewery on the west side (not sure about the hours of their bar). None are very near the interstate, so a visit would be more than a couple minutes. I like all the beer i've had at all of them. Capitol just won a bunch of medals at the US Open Beer competition.

Then in Plover is the O'so brewery, I have had one of theirs, liked it pretty well. They are within sight of the interstate.

Then in Stevens Point is the Point brewing, large facility, never been there, see signs for tours, I like their beer. They are expanding, AGAIN, so I am not alone in that assessment.

Then in Wausau is another Great Dane and a place called Hereford and Hops. Never been to either but hear positive reviews.

Rhinelander has not much going on brewery wise. The one they had hasn't brewed in a while.

Eagle River has Tribute Brewing, last week I tried their IPA and 28 Lakes Lager and liked 'em both. Unusual since I am not normally an IPA guy.

Have a good trip!

Old 07-14-2013, 12:58 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4626 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 908

About 70 miles away from Rhinelander is my cottage. I know it's out of the way but it you make it as far as Eagle River, another 20 miles will get you here!

Anyway.........there are more breweries and brewpubs in Wisconsin all the time. Unfortunately, Rhinelander is a beer wasteland. Depending on your route, all of the beer you want to buy you'll find on the way. In Green Bay, there are several places, and in Appleton as well. So grab growlers/six packs/whatever before coming further north. Once you get to Rhinelander, there is Trigs (a grocery store) and they have a pretty good bottle selection but nothing in the way of brewpubs or beer on tap in bats.

If you can tell us your route, we'll have specific help for you.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:16 AM   #4
mux
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Hop leaf and chicago ale house are must see!

Old 07-14-2013, 01:40 AM   #5
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 417

Three Floyds is a MUST! Its actually in Indiana, just outside of the Illinios border. Google it, then go there, its probably on your route. Many world class beers there, and the ambiance is amazing

There are so many in Chicagoland, I dont know how to give advice. Goose Island is cool cuz everyone knows of them... Revolution makes good beer usually...

Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen

Old 07-19-2013, 12:41 AM   #6
AMMODOG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

About 5 minutes off the interstate are three of my local favorites. One real small guy named House of Brews, basically a brewer with just a tap room, mostly he is self distributing in the area building his brand name. A few minutes from there is a new start-up called Karben4, they have a pretty large bar with food. Karben4 took over the building and some equipment from another place called Ale Asylum. AA has been around 10 years or so but in the past year has really expanded in the state. They have a new building for their production and a very large bar with great food. You really could hit about 5 more brewers in Madison alone, but if you just want a local beer and maybe lunch on the way through then I suggest Ale Asylum, easy off and back on the interstate within minutes.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:47 AM   #7
Cathedral
40oz to freedom
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doongie View Post
Then in Wausau is another Great Dane and a place called Hereford and Hops. Never been to either but hear positive reviews.
There's a Hereford & Hops in Escanaba, MI. I'm assuming it's owned by same company, of course. The beer was good but not great and the same for the food. I actually walked out of the place with a growler full of beer from the guest tap...

But to OP: If you're going on 80/90, and I bet you are, stop by Toledo to visit Maumee Bay Brewing Co. Some pretty damn delicious beers, don't ya know, and that's not just hometown pride!
Kegged: Jalapeno Cream Ale

Old 07-19-2013, 01:01 AM   #8
Glynn
Brewing 20 yrs & still a noob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I was up in eagle river a few years ago fishing and we stopped in at this local roadside bar and i asked for a rhinelander and the bartender said "whats that" I told her it was a beer made in rhinelander, wisc just down the road. Her reply "we have miller or bud" I said "I'll have a jack and coke"

Good people drink good beer - Hunter S. Thompson
Duct tape. The handyman's secret weapon - Red Green

Naughty Kitty Brewing EST 1993
Primary 1 - Saison
Primary 2 - Centennial IPA
Primary 3 -
Secondary 1 -
Secondary 2 -
Bottled - Nogginfogger DIPA, Feral Red Ale

Old 07-19-2013, 02:27 AM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4626 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynn View Post
I was up in eagle river a few years ago fishing and we stopped in at this local roadside bar and i asked for a rhinelander and the bartender said "whats that" I told her it was a beer made in rhinelander, wisc just down the road. Her reply "we have miller or bud" I said "I'll have a jack and coke"
Oh, but in Eagle River now there is an awesome tap room called Tribute Brewing Company. They not only have great house beers, they have other Wisconsin craft beers on tap. Free peanuts, and great owners. I love the place! They have growlers for sale at their brewery, but they also sell growlers at the grocery stores (Trig's).

It's new (less than a year old) but things are starting to change in the Northwoods, and you can sometimes get a craft beer now!

Old 07-19-2013, 03:32 AM   #10
Doongie
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMMODOG
About 5 minutes off the interstate are three of my local favorites....
I totally spaced Karben4 and Ale asylum. Good call. I am not a fan of AA, but I know I am in the minority. I haven't been able to try Karben4 yet. Not a brewer but a good selection at the Malt House just a few minutes in on East Washington.

Quick Reply